Rubik's cube: 'Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down'

Rubik's cubes: 'Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down' - BBC News (video)

There are several billion combinations, but only one solution - for many, the Rubik’s cube isn’t just a game, but a competitive sport too.

Hundreds of the puzzle’s fans have descended on Glasgow for a three-day competition, racing against the clock - and each other - in speed time trials.

The humble cube is experiencing something of a renaissance, with a new generation taking up the puzzle during the Covid pandemic.

Some competitors can complete it in lightning speeds of less than 10 seconds.

I was never able to master the cube and I am in awe of the current generation who are more than able … :open_mouth:

We had them at school. Long time ago. We did it in about a minute as I recall.
I got it wrong - I was quite a bit older than school days. My apologies.

1 Like

When they first came out, my brother and I were fascinated and we tried for weeks to do it

One day I sneakily peeled off the coloured stickers and rearranged them so it looked like I’d cracked it, and told him I’d solved it because I was so much more intelligent than him :rofl::smirk:

1 Like

Sneaky but intelligent though.

I picked one up and after a few minutes put it down,in the bin.

The trick to the rubic cube is to get 4 colours in the left hand corner. With those facing you turn the right hand side once upwards then the top to the right. repeat and keep repeating and you should get all the same colours together if you do it enough times

I’ve never even held one in my hands.

My brother was brilliant at it,i could only ever manage 3 sides,i gave up.