Royal Variety Performance

Do people in the UK still watch it ?
It was on Boxing Day here.
Comedy rubbish apart from Lost Voice Guy.
Music not bad ,the girl from Tina,very good.
Elephants, very nice.

It was on here a while ago - saw some of it at a friend’s house - was not impressed.

I’m always bored by those performances I bet the Royals draw straws on who HAS to attend:)

We love a good variety show, always find something in them for all of us. As long as you know you won’t like all the acts and accept others might royal variety is great.

1 Like

Bump.

I noticed that the Royal Variey was on ITV tonight, and have recorded it so we can watch it at leisure, and flick through the ads and acts which hold no interest.

Didn’t these use to be held at the London Palladium instead of the Albert Hall, and we’re they ever shown live? This year’s was apparently recorded a few weeks ago.

Good bump Dex, saw it but dain’t watch it yet, maybe when there ain’t much happenin.

1 Like

Realistically, I’ll probably not watch many (if indeed any) of the musical acts since, as good as they no doubt are, they don’t really float my boat.

PS - could some TL3 add some appropriate tags for this thread? Ta.

They were held at the Palladium, it was something that families would look forward to and sit together and enjoy, Bruce Forsythe springs to mind. TV was more of a collective experience back then, in a sense I think it was a more binding experience socially speaking. Very few channels, no internet, you’d chat at school or work about what was on the box the previous night.

I feel the same way about the FA cup, boring now IMO, it used to be a bit special, we’d tune in and watch all the coverage and build up before the game, it just doesn’t have the same attraction anymore although that could just be me getting a bit heavy with the nostalgia. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Me too. Used to be shown on both BBC and ITV on their mainstream sports programs. Used to feel more like a party event. Stopped watching it ages ago when it lost the sense of occasion.

Similarly for RV show. Maybe its just my perception, but there are too many singers on it nowadays, and I hear their songs most weeks anyway on radio or other TV shows too often to be bothered to watch them again. Looking at some of the headline acts, IIRC we saw them strut their stuff at the Jubilee at the palace. Too soon to watch them again.

1 Like

Muted Sam Smith, then switched telly off for the evening during the Cirque de Soleil act. What a load of noisy rubbish.

1 Like

Aye the old times are a changin or will be changin or should be changin or shouldn’t perhaps?

Bob Dylan is going into Coronation street, maybe.

is this the new name for Heaven these days?

Are you talkin entertainment Heaven, “Strictly” speaking?

well strickly speakin it’s all a load of old ardgie bargie\

Variety no way,