Royal Mail unveils latest stamps to celebrate legendary BBC comedy - Blackadder

Blackadder arrives with the first series arriving in 1983, with Edmund, Duke of Edinburgh who dubbed himself the Black Adder

Miranda Richardson as Queenie and Patsy Byrne as nursie in Blackadder II

Hugh Laurie’s Prince George, with his butler Edmund Blackadder and servant Baldrick played by Sir Tony Robinson in the third show’s incarnation

The final full series for the Blackadder dynasty was set in the trenches of World War 1

The stamps feature some of the show’s best-loved characters, played by stars including Rowan Atkinson, Sir Tony Robinson, Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry, Tim McInnerny, Miranda Richardson, Brian Blessed and the late Patsy Byrne.

Launched in 1983 by writer Richard Curtis and star Atkinson, with the assistance of BBC producer John Lloyd and co-author Ben Elton, the show is often cited as one of the best British sitcoms of all time.

David Gold, director of external affairs and policy at Royal Mail, said: "The epic saga of Blackadder spans six centuries of British history and four decades of British television and is still loved and revered by audiences old and new.

“We are delighted to mark the 40th anniversary of Blackadder with a set of special stamps.”

A presentation pack of all 12 stamps will cost £19.60.

4 Likes

What a brilliant idea for a brilliant “saga” … :smiley:

2 Likes

Posh stamps are all very well, but I would prefer to see postal deliveries actually reaching their destination AND on time too🤬

1 Like

Love em !

3 Likes

Are they sticky though,as sticky as sticky the stick insect when he got stuck on a sticky bun ?

1 Like

What a brilliant idea.
I look forward to getting some in the post.

1 Like

What a cunning plan …Brilliant aren’t they , I particularly like the Stephen Fry giving it some welly stamp and £2.20 snivelling Edmund Blackadder

I’d love to steam off a penny black from the envelope of my next bank statement :relaxed:

1 Like

Did you know the early penny black stamps were not perforated?

1 Like

I didn’t… perforated or not I don’t have one alas!
No VIP invite coming my way for The Antiques Roadshow.

1 Like

Australia Post offer a service where you can put your own picture on a postage stamp. Does the Royal Mail do this?

It is not cheap ($37 for 20 x $1.20 stamps) but I guess for a special occasion it might be fun.

Personally I am quite happy with my 60c Concession stamps