River god

Wilbur Smith and his 4th wife, Mokhiniso.

4th wife?:104:

Maybe he’s a Mormon?:smiley:

True or Muslim. :cool:

I don’t think Wilbur smith is either Mormon or Muslim.

Likely, it just took him a while to find the right one. Often the case for the rich and famous.

Agreed Bakerman. We were just kidding. Definitely don’t wish to go down that path.

Ah, I usually have a great deal of difficulty understanding British humor. :smiley:

Cliché you say ? I challenge you to find cliché /triteness within the pages of River God.

I doubt that you have read River God and are merely repeating some slanderous review of some recent book which has been co-authored by a lesser talent.

I’ve read River God probably four times since it was published. It is a good book, but not one of his best and it is littered with repeated descriptions and phrases from his other books. His first couple of books were the best, but then again the first efforts often are. I don’t read the reviews as I have got to know his works inside out over the years.

You may be correct. I, however, love River God because I love any and all stories of ancient Egypt. Not only that, but I fell in love with Lady Lostris. What man could possibly resist her charms ?

The majority of his female characters are like that - different times, different places, but all similar women. You are right though. I love the historical fiction of his writings - particularly African and the Northern areas of that part of the world. A lot of historical story telling is very close to the truth I think, particularly in relation to Africa’s, past and the more present history. Problem is it has got so very “samey” to me and I have moved away from his writing as I sense it is not what it used to be artistically and wonder if it is really all his own work now or just a money making machine half created by others working on his books.

PS. Did you read Sunbird (that’s a good one).

You wonder why he would need more money as he is mega rich already . I like his books and have read nearly all of them but I don’t think I would like him if I met him .
He strikes me as a very difficult man .

Wilbur Smith’s best novel by far, in my view, is Elephant Song - a towering masterpiece.

Smith in his later years has created an academy, I believe, to assist and promote young aspiring writers - hence the recent co-authored publications.

What I most admire about Smith is his research into his subject matter, making his books so much more enjoyable.

Just a bit of added interest. Here is a bit of an autobiography by Wilbur Smith - hope it is of interest.

https://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/meet-wilbur

A very interesting read. Thank you for posting.

He writes great books but they do make your arms ache, they are so thick.

I bought myself a small lectern type stand. Much easier.

Or a Moron? :-p

Yes. Sunbird is one of my favorites.

It is surprising how many people don’t like River God. I thought it was great. It was the book that got me back into reading again after a long break.