Rishi Sunak’s Height

I’ve always considered Rishi Sunak to be a man of at least average height, possibly even taller. He has a slim, athletic frame and wears clothes which make him look “lanky”.

So I was somewhat surprised, and so were the panel, when, on HIGNFY (BBC iPlayer - Have I Got News for You - Series 63: Episode 1), chaired by Clive Myrie (5’8"), featuring Ian Hislop (5’6") and Andy Hamilton (5’2") it was revealed that Rishi, like Ian, is 5’6" and nowhere near the height of Paul Merton (6’2").

So, I began to wonder if Rishi’s height was generally over-estimated and was due to photgraphic “manipulation”, as used by, for example, former French president Nicolas Sarkozy (5’4"), who, allegedly chose shorter workers to stand alongside him in a photoshoot and put platforms behind podiums to make himself appear taller.

My perception of Rishi in photographs is that he is always photographed alone or with his wife - of course, I may just be ill-informed.

Nevertheless, if Rishi succeeds Boris Johnson as the next prime minister, he might well be the shortest man to hold the job since Winston Churchill (5’5") - Margaret Thatcher was 5’4".

It was at this point when HIGNFY became QI … :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Always thought he looked short .

Love it. Rishi becoming the Alan Ladd of the political world and possibly having small furniture made so he looks big, or even trenches for taller people to walk alongside him in so they match his height. lol.

What has someone’s height got to do with anything? During my working years I was 6’ 6" and my height had little if anything to do with my employed position. Since retiring I’m around 1" shorter but still the same inner me with the same abilities; although perhaps my physical abilities are not as encompassing as they once were.
My wife at her tallest was 4’ 10" and since several spine and joint operations now only measures in at 4’ 8", but her height or rather lack of it, did not detract from her employment capabilities; far from it.
I fail to see what a persons height has to do with anything important in this life unless of course its used to turn into something supposedly funny to be ridiculed :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I have never noticed Rishi trying to manipulate photo groupings to make himself look taller - if you look around for images of him, you will find lots of pics where he is photographed in a line up of much taller men.

He attends some of our local hospital charity functions and meetings and seems quite at ease with everyone and confident in himself. I have never got the impression that he has any hang-ups about his height - why should he have? - he seems to have everything going for him in his personal life and his career.

I think maybe it’s because he is such a slim, fit-looking guy who dresses smartly in clothes that fit well, which makes him appear to have a long-limbed look that makes people imagine he is taller until they meet him or see him standing next to taller people - his height certainly doesn’t seem to be any hindrance to Rishi - nor should it be.

I don’t agree with all his political views but I have found him to be an intelligent, capable and competent person in all his dealings with our charity.

2 Likes

I have always thought of Rishi Sunak as short - well, that is if I’ve thought about it at all, which I probably haven’t. What I mean is, it comes as no surprise to learn of his height, and I honestly can’t think why anyone’s height would be something worthy of comment. It’s about as meaningless as commenting on the colour of their eyes or hair. So what?

Or indeed whether they have any hair :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your comment … :wink:

1 Like

But history tells another story about short people does’nt it,
Starting with Napoleon and then Zarcozy up to the present with Macron
and now Putin ??
There is also the case of the gnomes of Zurich ?That infamous group of
Swiss bankers , and then Kim un Jung of North Korea and our own
Jimmy Saville and Bernie Ecellstone come to mind !!
Hitler himself was not very tall either ??
It seems that shortarses seem to seek out positions of power and then
proceed to prove just how powerful they are ??
It seems that this applies to the male of the species mainly !!
Donkeyman! :+1::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::+1:

Napoleon was 5’6" tall which was an average height in those days.

I don’t know how or why but I’ve always known that, since he became Chancellor, Rishi is a short arse.

… oh yes, and look how he ended up :point_down:
Napoleon’s personal physician, Barry O’Meara , warned London that his declining state of health was mainly caused by harsh treatment. During the last few years of his life, Napoleon confined himself for months on end in his damp, mould-infested and wretched habitation of Longwood. In February 1821, Napoleon’s health began to deteriorate rapidly, and he died on 5 May 1821 at Longwood House at age 51.

@Percy_Vere , Yeahbut, it is well known that Old Boney had special boots
made by the (royal ?) boot maker and that Josaphine was the only
person to ever see him wiv is boots off Percy !!
Make what you like of that ? :grin::grin:
Donkeyman! :+1::roll_eyes::+1:

Yes, us short people are a force to be reckoned with :muscle:t4:

I don’t think he does anything special to hide it? I haven’t noticed, anyway and he’s what they used to call ‘slight’ in build

He is very confident, not in the show offy, oiky Johnson way, but quietly self confident and that gives him a presence so you probably don’t notice his height

Anyway, I think 5ft 6 is huge :rofl:

Liz Truss is 5’ 3" so perhaps Britain needs a short leader to keep their head below the parapet.

Thatcher was 5ft 5… I don’t think it’s his height but his girth that makes him seem slight.

Who cares about either his height or girth - question should be - can he do the job? :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

Trump is nearly 7 feet or something.Quality over quantity is what you need.That’s always been my excuse anyway.

1 Like

The Lilliputians are talking over the land .

1 Like

Katie Hopkins makes a big thing about his height as a reason not to vote for him, says he’s “nipple height”

Her other reasons are taxation, his wife, his green card (which she says makes him a Californian commie) and because he’s a nob!

When the haters hate, they’ll just pick on anything to hate on about someone

Height doesn’t matter, Johnson is 5ft 9 and look what a lying jerk he turned out to be

Here’s the Katie Hopkins vid. She just a publicity whore of course, throwing out outrageous stuff as click bait to bring in the dosh

But she’s quite amusing. It’s a bit rude so don’t open the link if it will offend

5 reasons not to vote for Rishi -Katie Hopkins

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: