Right to Roam the countryside

There was a peaceful invasion on to Richard Benyon estate this weekend

I am all for this I belive that the countryside is for everyone .

I am going to add here the difficulty of making a title short and concise .
Right to roam my original title was rejected for some unfathomable reason .

1 Like

Including Albanians?

Hi

Right to Roam?

It depends where.

Military Sites, No.

Nuclear sites, No

High Risk Waste disposal sites, No.

My back garden, naff off.

The littlies are free to come and go, with the agreement of their parents, balls etc are a natural fact of life, all good fun.

Teenagers and others after dark are not welcome

How about the Stuart Highway driving from Adelaide to Darwin it goes through the Woomera Prohibited area?

You might come across some nasty radio activity those naughty British left behind.

Of course not military zones or peoples back gardens be sensible .
I’m talking about the vast private estates that make up 92% of the countryside (many owned by our Royal family )
The farmers who do all they can to make footpaths inaccessible and other private rich who own land .
In other countries such as Norway there is a Right to roam here there is not.
https://www.righttoroam.org.uk/

Yes they have a country to roam in Albania .

So, just to clarify, it turns out that you actually don’t believe the countryside is for everyone? and the “Right to Roam” only applies to people you select?

I see you are in an argumentative mood Bruce what’s the trouble red back get in your swag bag :slight_smile:

You’ll have to show me where I am arguing, I am just seeking clarification of your original statement.

Arguing would be saying, “The countryside in NOT for everyone” but in fact it is you that is now saying that. So perhaps a redback has got in your knickers?

The countryside in for everyone who stick to the footpath. That’s fair enough. Farmers can’t have them trampling their crops.

2 Likes

and you in an attempt to defend your title become insulting instead of having a reasonable and polite discussion? what do you call that “muddies law”?

I believe everyone should be able to roam the countryside, so long as it isn’t dangerous for them or there is livestock around, its shocking that people are prevented from accessing so called “private” land. I also believe in wild camping, something that isn’t allowed in England. Quite insane really.

1 Like

Hi

Muddy, I am being sensible, unfortunately we have idiots who are not being sensible and who demand the right to go anywhere.

I find the vast majority of farmers and landowners very agreeable if you ask first.

I love my fishing, but cannot walk long distances with my gear.

Some of the best fishing is a long way from the roads.

Go and see the farmers, explain the situation and ask politely if you can drive down when they have harvested the crops.

I have yet to find one who has refused and many will say, just drive down the edge of the field even if there are crops in, and send us a text when you are going.

What’s the matter with you Gummie found a hole in your Billy can ?
Try an electric kettle .:slight_smile:

Obviously there is a country code .I live in the country surrounded by fields full of crops .
The average person does respect the countryside and keeps to footpaths and headlands . The farmers have most trouble around here with those persons who call themselves travellers but don’t travel enough who come ( in stolen vehicles ) bash down the gates and drive over the crops ‘lamping ‘ ( hunting hares and deer ) so much so that they have blocked up their gates with massive bales and tree trunks. Your average rambler is an older person often retired who likes walking they are not about to trample down a wheat field .
However while some farmers / landowners take care to keep footpaths clear some are deliberately obstructive . Blocking off footpaths and bridles paths or ploughing them up making it difficult for walkers .

Most farmers are understandably very protective of their land and some are not agreeable at all !
Ditto those who buy property with footpaths across them and then make it as difficult as possible for people to use them .
Let’s get the figures again . Only 8% of the countryside is accessible to the public .92% is in private hands .

2 Likes

Do you want to discuss it or just nitpick ?
How many illegal Albanians do you have tramping across your national parks ?

1 Like

I read that 97% of rivers are off limits to the public.

Why can’t we have more freedom to access them.

1 Like

Hi

We obviously have very different experiences of life.

Private land is private land, they have all sorts of issues with idiots leaving rubbish, causing damage to crops and livestock.

I don’t leave rubbish and always ask first

Yes they do put some restrictions on, but never unreasonable.

Take only photos, leave only footprints.

2 Likes