Review on online shopping, what would you do?

I’ve got a bit of a dilemma

I ordered a personalised wedding anniversary card for my son from Etsy and when it arrived, they’d mixed up my order and it had another couples name on it!

They apologised and offered to replace, but it would have arrived too late so the gave me a refund

When I wrote my review I just explained what had happened factually and gave it one star, I wasn’t nasty or vindictive or anything

But now they’ve messaged me begging me to change the review because they are a small business, it was a genuine mistake, they don’t make a living wage and it will damage their sales

Now I don’t like to be mean and I wouldn’t want to destroy anyone’s business

But my husband says pleading poverty like that and putting pressure on is unprofessional of them and I should leave it

I did think of adding to the review saying the card was very attractive and good value and I think it was a one off mistake

So what would you do if you were me?

• Leave the review and one star rating as it is
  • Take the review and rating off completely
  • Leave the review and rating but add the extra bit

0 voters

2 Likes

I would give them the benefit of the doubt and remove it completely.

3 Likes

Just leave it, they’ve to learn from their mistakes just like the rest of us. Think about for 2 minutes…

If we do something wrong as individuals, we get a ton of bricks on our heads, but if they do a mistakes, they expect to get away with it. Aye right? NOT!!!

If I’m unsatisfied, I usually write to them direct, if I get nowhere, I put a review. Otherwise, I generally put a review when I’m satisfied with it all. If I’m not, I put them in the “Don’t bother to buy from them again!” Pile :grin:

1 Like

Take it off but don’t buy from them again.

1 Like

Id never give any bad reviews , its not necessary, if im not happy i just dont leave any review at all … I do leave good reviews when its called for .

and when all said and done @Maree you said the card was attractive , . A mistake in the postal address then ? so someone has the card you ordered .

Be the bigger person and take your review down and help that business along the way .

2 Likes

Whatever happened to the high street?
Little independent shops.
Okay… I’m living in the past :wink:

3 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t have given them a bad review in the first place, they admitted their mistake and refunded the money. What more could you ask? Shit happens.

2 Likes

In a way that’s what this is, though

She is selling on Etsy, a little independent shop online, she designs the cards herself, then sends the files away to be printed in the US (which must cost) but that’s why the quality is nice

She’s only made just over 4000 sales on Etsy since she started in 2015, so that’s a turnover of about £20k, less printing costs of course

I would take the rating and review off completely .

I wouldn’t want to ruin anybody’s hard work and business for what was a genuine mistake.
I’ve made loads of errors but thankfully I’ve been met with understanding. Mostly :joy:

2 Likes

I would remove the review. They refunded you and apologised. Small businesses thrive on good reviews and the economy isn’t the best.

1 Like

Hi all,
Experience of daughter ordering from Etsy. Out of the 5 separate orders, four were incorrect. Three of the orders gave a refund back and told to keep the incorrect items received with no charge - we still have a chain with someone else’s name on it! The other did not respond (gave up as it was £5 and too much trouble) but left scathing review. She doesn’t order from Etsy anymore. Bitten too many times.
No comments given on public forum. But did complain via private emails direct to the company.

1 Like

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:
The quality of mercy is not strain’d.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Yes I suppose so.
However there’s no substitute for walking into a shop of choice because it takes your fancy!

The internet can’t replace a rummage!
I’m not banging on about pound shops I hasten to add :wink:

1 Like

I like a browse through the little independent shops, you are really unusual things sometimes

1 Like

I do beg your pardon!
Have we met before?
And I’m sure they are :wink:

1 Like

:smiley: thanks for the chuckle.

About the review, I can see both sides. I’ve read the seller’s and buyer’s sides of Etsy on Reddit. It’s a tough system. One bad review can take away benefits from sellers because they lose their top seller status that gives them less selling power. On the other hand, from the buyer’s side, if you can’t give an honest review, how can other buyers get informed?

I like the idea of buying and selling on Etsy but the system has its pitfalls.