Retro Fads and Crazes

Hummel figures
We have loads of them Mr Ms Aunties collected them and no one wants them .
They are in the shed .

1 Like

Another of their crazes was looped knitting. Everyone got a beret indifferent colours, we looked like a gang of rainbow hedgehogs, and we all got bomber jackets!

2 Likes

Not really a fad, but there used to be a lot more people wearing curduroy trousers, which were useless in many ways (especially as they rubbed thin between the thighs), and nylon sheets which used to “catch” in fingernails and gave one a static electric shock

2 Likes

Don’t get me started on corduroy trousers!
I ruined a brand new pair of cords kneeling on a skateboard!

Corduroy is/was only fit for for Open University professors, at least they had the common sense to have leather elbow patches sewn in to their corduroy jackets.

You risked life and limb skating with a set of kryptonics and a decent pair of trucks.

1 Like

I loved my dusky pink corduroy trousers when I was a kid, and also liked the sound they made when you walked. Wore mine until they were bald and holey.

I would wear cords now if they were around :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I have a pair of cords but they make me look two sizes bigger so I never wear them :frowning:

1 Like

Pixie, l had a dusky pink duster coat that my mother ordered out of a magazine or newspaper.
It came in ready cut out pieces and she just sewed them together. My two sisters had the same.

She also knitted me a pink angora bolero jacket that l wore to other children’s parties.

I also had a mohair skirt but my boyfriend kept crying when l wore it… he was allergic to it!!

1 Like

Ohh mohair! I had a mohair jumper…I loved it! I also tried to knit with mohair, but it was nigh on impossible!

Your dusky pink duster coat sounds really nice, actually…any pics?

No, it was before cameras were invented! :laughing:

1 Like

Oxford bags the trousers of champions , Doc Martens

2 Likes

My dad was always on about his 501’s and how they were worn wet and shrunk to fit. I can thing of nothing more uncomfortable.

1 Like

Winkle pickers Hedgehopper…
Winkle Pickers

1 Like

Retro fad and craze? I think not.Essential foot wear for me.

I thought winkle pickers were the bees knees, not so keen on Cuban heels though.

1 Like

Bunion makers !

1 Like

Hawkins Astronaut :+1:

Remember lava lamps with coloured floating oils , my mum in-law had one that looked like a rocket.
In recent times they’ve made a bit of a come back.

3 Likes

I certainly do Ripple
I’d love a Mathmos oil wheel projector too, although there are much better things to spend money on for the foreseeable future :wink:

1 Like

@Chilliboot - Hmm - projectile wheels? Sounds dangerous!

1 Like

Nothing quite as exciting and dynamic I’m afraid :wink:
These particular wheels are far more laid back and psychedelic, they’d go well with the patchouli oil :v:

2 Likes