Restaurants That We Remember but now Gone Forever!

Most of us were born from the 1950s on (and yes before and after that :crazy_face:.

So, I thought, let’s walk into our memories backwards. Please feel free to add your favourite eateries that you attended, enjoyed or disliked. Which ones have gone out of our lives forever, leaving behind strange and unique memories :joy::joy::joy:.

Food that disappeared in updated/defunct Chain store:
Frosty Malted Milk Shakes (store known as Hudson’s Bay)

• Banana Cream Cakes (Woolworths cafeteria/restaurant)
  • Chez Raisins (on back near Byward Market - they had the best rice pudding in town)
  • Elephant and Castle (Rideau Shopping Centre in Food Court)
  • Oregano’s Pizza Place (on Byward Market - best super cheesy * pizzas)
    • Lois and Frimas (downtown, similar to Ben and Jerry’s ice cream but much creamier)
  • The Keg (best steaks place with salad bars)
  • Wendy’s (square burger patties and frosties plus taco salads)
  • Dairy Queen (not gone yet but missing their peanut buster sundaes)
  • Spaghetti Factory (on Byward Market)
  • China Dragon (Delish Lunch Chinese Specials on Rideau Street)
  • Dunkin Donuts (cream of tomato soup with mushrooms, Donuts)
  • Tim Horton’s Donuts (Cherry Turnover that were enormous)
  • Red Lobster (seafood restaurant)
  • Ponderosa Steakhouse (the Wednesday ribeye special with jacket potato)
  • Arby’s Roast Beef Sandwiches (Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada)
  • Fat Albert (best submarine sandwiches and the birth of Nacho plates)
  • Mario’s (best Italian pasta and foot long pizzas)
  • Copperhead (Mexican food restaurant that had the best Taco soup and marvellous Buffalo Wings plus Fajitas/Tacos to die for)
  • Mexicali Rosa (was a Mexican restaurant their Fried Ice Cream desserts)
  • Fair Food (pogos, tiny Tim donuts & Cicero’s Pizzas)
  • Duke of Somerset Pub (their onion soup and Guiness on tap)
  • Chi-Chi’s (which disappeared in 2004 - also caused the biggest Hepatitis A panic where people actually died)
  • KFC (still there but definitely not the same as before)
  • The Continental Dining Lounge - hospitality industry studies at University Campus (best food buffets made by students also catered for weddings)

So far, that’s my recollections. Your turn? What restaurants or foods you’ve known …?

proxy-image

The Berni Inn…where I always had Dover Sole and Chips with with Apple pie and ice cream for dessert.

2 Likes

The old style Wimpy restaurants,
where you could sit down at the table, check out the menu and get table service.

th-3954984458

2 Likes

Kahdomah coffee shops.Upstairs in BHS,The Green Dragon,The White Lion.We did a lot of pub food. :grinning:

2 Likes

Are we talking about cafe’s and rocker/mod times or even before that. In Sutton Surrey the road opposite the train station there used to be a cafe called “The bamboo Hut”. Not only a cafe but a lot of guys who went there were keen chess players. I had some great tournaments in there. This was at the start of the mod era but this was a rockers cafe mainly. also a meeting place before going to the cinema. then it was Tolworth ten pin bowling alley, had or may still have 32 lanes on one floor. I played in a league there and was also a member so had access to the members only bar. good old times. Funely enough I had to go back there many years later as a BT engineer adding an extn phone Jean Furgeson I already knew who was the manageress was surprised to see me back to do the work. Wow still remember her name after all this time,we were only just good friends nothing more.

2 Likes

Fairly recently we had a rather nice restaurant. The food was excellent. We often visited it once or twice a week. It was just about half a mile from our house. Then Covid struck. I haven’t there since nor have any others.

1 Like

BHS was one we whiled away the time waiting for a bus .you needed a code to use their toilets .

Then more recently once a Month I would meet up with a cousin and go to Debenhams restaurant then that closed down , and Covid arrived. And I no longer go to resturant.

2 Likes

Woolworths had the best roast beef sandwiches.
A local drive-in had the best comfort food.
Shakey’s had the best pizza. There are still some around but it’s not the same.

Most of the restaurants I miss are still there. I just don’t live close enough to eat at them.

2 Likes

All of my favourite old haunts closed many years ago.

3 Likes

Was the it the two I’s where Sir Cliff of Richard started ?

1 Like

LD
the group (and pals I knocked around with) I was a part time roadie for them and played at the 2I s once, and as always a story to go with it. At the time I had a 2 door For Anglia 100e model. To get all the gear in I removed the passanger seat and transported the gear to that cafe. It had a tiny stage in what was the basement and when full people sat on the steep stairs down to it.

The manager/owners? female companion/ lover/wife or what ever needed a lift to somewhere or other, can’t remember where exactly. She got in my car and exclaimed “Its the first time I have been in a car with only 3 seats”.

1 Like

Did you frequent The Marquee club in Wardour Street?
Knocked down some years ago alas!

1 Like

Not only Harry Rodger Webb, but several others too and where I mingled :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, but mostly in its 1st location in Oxford Street before it moved around 1964ish to its newer locations in Wardour St and finally Charing X Rd.

2 Likes

Apparently we have a Wimpy restaurant opening up in Lowestoft town centre. I look forward to eating in there, seeing as the two McDonalds are a car ride away.

Some years ago whenever I went to London for the day, I would have a meal in a fabulous back street cafe/restaurant which did reasonably priced home cooked style meals. Even a colleague at the time mentioned he went there. I expect it has long since been pulled down. Can’t even remember its name.

3 Likes

Does anyone remember the Golden Eggs? I used to love getting taken there as a kid for a treat

1 Like

Yes, but vaguely. I think there might have been one in Oxford Street quite near Selfridge’s

1 Like

Talking of Oxford Street… this venue brings back memories!

Primarily Jazz but there used to be a punk night once a week, Tuesdays I think.

1 Like

@Chilliboot If that 100 club started allowing punk, then you would not have seen my arse for dust🤬

2 Likes

Yep …back in 1976. I would have been to young to get in!

1 Like