Resident male Magpie taking a bath

He wants to look good for his two ladies.
Two nests, two belles, 3 chicks.
We supplement their feed with good quality mince.
All three Magpies still forage of their own volition.
Expecting the chicks will be bought to us when they leave the nest.

8 Likes

You should NEVER feed Magpies mince ever. Look it up.

1 Like

Thank you. Will change what we feed them from now on.

1 Like

This is interesting because magpies happily eat wet cat food if I don’t get to it fast enough. In fact they come to the door to hard stare at me through the glass, even tapping to get my attention when they don’t find the food dish on the patio. You’d think this was a fast food outlet!

I’ve also seen them eating cat poo before I can swipe it. They all look pretty healthy when they come to stare at me or peck at the cat’s tail despite this. Mince meat seems to be on the no list because it lacks calcium. But they seem to have plenty of that judging by the white stuff I have clean off the garden furniture after they use the facilities.

I try not to feed wildlife but I do leave water out and I’ve seen the magpies having a drink from the bird bath or pet bowl.

3 Likes

I am afraid the only thing in common between a European Magpie and the Australian Magpie is the colour. The Australian Magpie is a butcher bird and is much larger than the European one.

3 Likes

That’s so confusing. Apparently Australian magpies are only called the name because of a shortsighted bird spotter / settler

1 Like

They’re rather impressive … getting back to the mince thing though … I’ve caught our own magpies eating roadkill here. I never realised they ate carrion.

1 Like

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

crow and magpie

Probably the same explorer that named the various Alligator rivers in the NT.

There are no alligators in Australia, just a lot of crocodiles.

2 Likes