Replacing Fireworks

Could this be the way forward…Maybe?

3 Likes

They aren’t as exciting, you don’t get the bangs and whizzes and smell of gunpowder. It feels more techie and contrived and you don’t get that primitive joy in setting fire to things and letting it burn :rofl:

Also very expensive to do. Because of the battery weight issue, each drone can’t fly for more than a few minutes, so you need several sets of drones for a longer display

But certainly greener, less scary for pets and animals and less dangerous

And combined with music and poetry and a story, they can be very beautiful in their own right

There was a display in Weson-super-Mare over the See Monster which was brilliant

But it only lasted 7 minutes in total, so by the time you’d travelled to see it, it was a lot of travel time compared to display time

The full video

1 Like

Fireworks should be banned dangerous and frightening for animals and tiny children

Lazer shows look really nice

3 Likes

Drone light show was used in the Olympic games opening ceremony.

I still prefer fireworks they are magical ……I don’t expect many to agree with me .

2 Likes

If they softened the noise it would help, they never used to be ear splitting like they are now.

1 Like

It’s odd really … Bonfire Night is the only time it’s legal, in fact encouraged, to let off explosives wherever you pretty much want to.

No, I agree with you. Fireworks are exciting and magical, I have so many happy memories of firework night, I’d hate to see it go

And I love the New Year fireworks

1 Like

I have to admit to been a little biased though … as a teenager me and a mate were inside a phone box when a couple of youths opened the kiosk door and shoved in a lit banger. The scramble to get out was noisier than a herd of squealing stampeding cattle.

I can still see, after all these years, the damn thing bouncing around inside the phone box.
Fireworks should be banned for anything other than organised displays… and kept strictly to November 5th.

1 Like

I agree with you big time Ripple… light shows don’t smell of smoke and gunpowder, pretty sterile and joyless by comparison, but each to their own.

2 Likes

Definitely each to their own … they’re full of chemicals. Strontium, lead, mercury … they’re pretty cancerous in terms of air pollutants.

It’s a mystery how much bad press spray can propellants got and fireworks got overlooked.

1 Like

Yeah but are but hold yer breath and enjoy the magic .
Errr ok breathe out

1 Like

Banning fireworks doesn’t mean the end of firework shows, it just takes them out of the hands of kids.

NSW banned the sale of fireworks years ago but who has the the most memorable New Years fireworks?

If anything it makes them more memorable

1 Like

I wonder what there was, about Parliament, that Guy Fawkes didn’t like?

:zipper_mouth_face:

He was totally fed up with the bloody fireworks.

1 Like

Ripple, I so agree, but, fireworks can be dangerous especially in the wrong hands and the wrong hands so appear to be increasing or is it media which is more so in reporting.

While, I wish fireworks to stay, I do feel that their availability should be more restricted and not as they are sold in local shops and supermarkets, so only available in special outlets.

Fireworks in the wrong hands are just as dangerous as guns and they are not readily available in the UK, we only have to look at America to see what would occur, if they were.

So, to buy fireworks people should have to produce ID to show they are old enough to purchase and names and addresses and the fireworks purchased should also be recorded.

Yes, very retricted, but more needs to be done to safeguard the many from the actions of the so, irresponsible few.

This should also considerably reduce the calls to the emergency services, reduce injuries and deaths and also damage to properties.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone would disagree…
One good thing is the price of fireworks have taken out of reach of many .
Organise firework displays are in my opinion the way forward

1 Like