Rejuvenating old tools

these old wood hole spade bits have been lying about in the workshop for ages, never used because the were blunt.
Anyway been looking at buying new replacements and what they cost. Now me being a very poor OAP decided to try and sharpen them. So onto the bench grinder wheel , damn cut the first on the wrong angle so start again. Think I got the cutting angle right this time so tested on a block of wood and it cut, it worked so did the rest and save a bit of cash into the bargain

3 Likes

Nice. Cost and quality of the new ones justify the effort to restore them. Looking forward to seeing the project that come from their use.

1 Like

May not ever want to use them on anything but at least they are ready

Nice job @realspeed and you will probably find that they’re made of better steel than most modern ones too.

1 Like

Surprisingly these are not that expensive, I expected them to cost far more. However, as Zaphod has already commented the quality of some might be far inferior. These from Toolstation might well be inferior to the ones you have realspeed. Some of these are more expensive singly than buying a set. Quality must come into it with these sets. :grinning:

These bits are easy to sharpen but much better to use a file rather than a grinder, only takes a few strokes with a file. Easier to get the angle right and far less chance of ending up with the shoulders at different heights

Yep, good advice Bruce. :+1:

Well couldn’t you at least drill a hole in something and post a photo of it?