Rees Moggs calls for early return of civil servants to offices!

I didn’t realise Rees Mogg was Minister of Government Efficiency - Awww, can’t he give the Civil Servants a break and let them send their Nannies in to do their work, like he does? :rofl:

I don’t think there is any evidence of them refusing?

But I don’t think they should be made to just as publicity stunt for Rees Moggs if there’s evidence that productivity and costs are better value for us as taxpayers/their employers if they work from home

As I said, the HMRC, who I work closely with on some cases, have as part of their contract from their last pay settlement that they can work from home two days a week?

But I was thinking more of the Home Office civil servants who might object to being involved in shipping people Rwanda and may genuinely believe that could result in deaths

I do agree with this bit.
I believe in reward for hard work and productivity. There are many of the MPs, perhaps most, who do very little and achieve the same. My local MP is an example. I have never heard her stand up in the Commons and speak, and even if she had what effort would that have taken? One of her supporters or assistants would have written it for her anyway.

1 Like

boring post deleted

So how many refuse? It’s what I’d call ‘flexible morals’.

Well we don’t know yet how many will, if any?

But if any do out of moral conviction then their morals aren’t flexible and I’ll admire them for it

A neighbour of mine is a civil servant. He works for the Dept for Transport and is involved with MOTs for heavy goods vehicles I believe.

He has not been to work since the start of the pandemic although he very occasionally has been asked to attend area meetings in recent months.

His garden backs on to ours and he is either gardening, washing his car (he gets with his job), sunbathing or mowing the grass.

It is disgraceful that there will be several thousand like him getting full pay for staying at home!

2 Likes

@Flowerpower , Especially with the backlogs they HAVE too FP !!
Bloody disgusting !!
I suppose if you asked him he’d say he worked from homentoo ??
Donkeyman! :-1::-1:

1 Like

Did it include losing 2/5ths of that big rip-off the London Weighting allowance as well?

1 Like

I don’t know, sorry, I know they gave up some benefits

Hi

There is absolutely no need for 90% of Civil Servants to work in London.#
#It is simply an ego trip for the Politicians.

Move them out to much cheaper areas and save £100s of millions every year.

I am a great advocate of this in the right circumstances, large rural areas for example.

No point in driving 50 miles to work every morning using your own time and money and having to drive back out again using up working time and getting fuel expenses.

The technology is there to better utilise this waste of time and money.

Surely the bottom line is that there are far far too many civil servants in the first place. Parkinson’s law needs to be extended to include that work expands to match the number of human resources available and this is now resulting in much too big government than is needed. The UK civil service is a cancer that needs to be subjected to big time surgery.

3 Likes

I agree, but not only civil servants; why not politicians and businesses.

Londonistan is not an efficient place to live and work, largely thanks to its mayor and others like him who would have everyone cycling everywhere. Then there’s the expense of housing, etc. It doesn’t sound very pleasant either, what will all the knifing and shooting which goes on there.

I’m sure I read not long ago about the suggestion to move Parliament out of Westminster whilst ‘the Palace of Westminster’ was being repaired (or possibly demolished - I’m sure there must have been a slave trader or two involved in its creation!).

It would make a lot of sense to spread the population around other parts of the country for a number of reasons and, due to the efficient means of communication in using the internet, etc., we don’t need everyone to be crammed together in one place.

That damned comma, why are standards so low?
Please please just delete it!

Hi

We have large numbers of Civil Servants yet some of the worst Public Services in Europe.

The work culture needs to be changed, your pay is not based on your knowledge, ability or work ethics.

It is based on the number of staff you employ and how much you spend, the more the higher your pay.

There needs to be some good Project Managers employed, many £Billions are lost every year on cost overruns and delays.

It needs to be a top down reorganisation, and Parliament must take the lead on this.

Politicians spend vast amounts of Public Money on schemes to make sure they keep their jobs, many such schemes are non starters, but done never the less.

They also keep passing new laws without repealing others, we we have a massive tangle of overlapping laws.

Then there is the matter of Public Scrutiny as it is called.

This is a massive newish part of Government, reporting on numerous items which are unnecessary and never looked at except by special interest groups.

The entire system is mad, except for a few exceptions, and is overrun with unnecessary recording of statistics…
It is impossible for politicians to read them all.

It needs a top to bottom overhaul and someone who knows what they are doing to organise it.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree with every bloody word of that.

Which comma?

Edit: Oh, you mean “Ree,s”! Well, don’t look at me. I didn’t do it. Now let me see, who did?
Ah, Donkeyman!

1 Like

@JBR ,. Did somebody call ??
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

@The_Artful_Todger , Me too !!
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

Go on, change it! Make Ruth happy. :wink: