Record busy year for Scottish mountain rescue teams

The organisation’s member teams attended 660 incidents, which included hillwalking accidents and searches for missing people.

The total number of separate team call outs was 951, which included linked call-outs on different days.

The incidents involved 19 fatalities, with seven of the deaths related to mountaineering.

Kev Mitchell, vice chairman of SMR, said it had been an extremely busy year for its volunteers.

He added: “This illustrates the huge commitment shown by team members and their families to ensure that hill-goers have a free world-class mountain rescue service when they need it throughout Scotland.”

SMR represents 25 civilian member teams - including Aberdeen, Galloway, Ochils, Tweed Valley and Skye - as well as three Police Scotland mountain rescue teams and one RAF team.

Another free service which should be applauded … :clap:

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. The state some of these idiots come up here in, to go up into the mountains is sheer madness. They are not at all prepared either in footwear or clothing, or supplies ect ect, with no trail plan, and not telling anyone where they are. Then the weather changes in the blink of an eye and the mists descend and they are lost, cold, scared and in danger of falling if they leave the trail. THEN…They expect our men to come and rescue them, they make me savage. :rage::rage::rage: And, don’t get me started on the ones who do this in Winter. :rage::rage::rage:

I think if you have put yourself in that situation then you should pay for being rescued.
I apologise if i sound harsh,but i think of how those brave people who rescue you are putting themselves at risk.