Recipes and ideas In the kitchen

@Barry - have copied this as it sounds delicious. Thank you, Barry.

I also use the leaves in salads and soups.

1 Like

ooooo, I’ll try this over the weekend Barry, thank you for sharing. I love to experiment

1 Like

I’ve just been making one of my favourite easy microwave meals, sweet potato dhal. A really tasty, healthy, easy to make dish that reheats beautifully… :man_cook:

1. Preparations done…

2. All in the pan…

3. All finished cooking after 20 minutes and with spinach added last off…

4. Four double portions all in containers ready for the freezer…

Easy peasy… :grin:

3 Likes

Further to the good morning thread today, here are the pies that I made from the spare chicken from our roast dinner…

Pastry made, chicken leek and mushroom in a white sauce prepared, pie plates greased…

One pie filled, the second one awaiting lid

Pies both egg washed and ready for the oven.

35 minutes later…

And the finished article, each pie made eight nice sized portions

So, one chicken costing £3.50 made 18 portions including our lunch for the sake of a few leeks, mushrooms and pastry. And people say they can’t afford to eat properly… :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

@Barry - you cannot beat home made food, Barry, and those look delicious!

1 Like

Plate pies, as my granny used to call them :+1: You can’t beat them and yours look lovely

1 Like

How do you store them?

1 Like

Yummy

1 Like

Freezer??

2 Likes

Cook them first, then freeze. Or freeze before cooking?

1 Like

Either would work - but I would cook first - as I think Barry does. Makes for a quicker meal when you defrost them! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

So cook the pies, cut into portions/slices and refreeze the slices? Just want to make sure that it’s OK (ie safe) to cook/heat the chicken a total of three times.

1 Like

@Dextrous63 - Barry looks well on it!

The ideal is to make sure you cook them thoroughly - I always thaw mine first.

1 Like

We’ve had these pie plates for years @Maree , they are enamelled and the heat travels through them very quickly and evenly, so we never get a soggy bottom…:joy:

I freeze them @Dextrous63 , cook first then portion up. I wrap each piece individually in a plastic bag then put them into zip top freezer bags eight portions apiece. :blush:.

When required we then thaw them out for around 4 hours before re- heating in the oven for around 30 minutes and they taste just like freshly cooked, delicious…

As the chicken is already cooked initially then re-cooking, freezing and then re- heating isn’t an issue, although I certainly wouldn’t do it with uncooked chicken! :wink:

4 Likes

Wow you are all such awesome cooks .
As you know I hate cooking so woe is me I have two guests coming for lunch on Friday .
I had planned on pizza and salad .

Any ideas ( easy ) to make it more memorable ?

Er two pizzas? :rofl:

1 Like

Pizza is pizza, isn’t it? And I bet they’ll love it!

You could make the salad fancy smancy. Spinach, tomato mozzarella, feta Greek salad, goats cheese, rocket and tomato?

And make your own coleslaw….

A dip is always nice to dip their pizza crust in, garlic? ranch?

I usually do some sort of potato with pizza and salad. Sweet potato wedges or a few of these, which are our current craze this summer

And then a small but delish dessert

Tiramisu? Affogato? Waitrose gelato? :rofl:

1 Like

Thank you Maree it sounds delicious :slight_smile:

You can’t beat a Chinese takeaway, no cooking to do and no clearing up afterwards. Why mess about with all that preparation

1 Like

My favourite too……any take-away really :rofl:

Do you remember that TV show “Can’t cook, won’t cook”?
They’re making a new one about me, it’s called “Can Cook, Can’t be arsed sometimes!”:rofl:

3 Likes