Real Wood Furniture - best place to buy it?

I want to buy a new TV stand but I don’t want toxic formaldehyde laden chipboard rubbish! :lol:

Know of any good places that have branches all over the country or deliver within the UK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solid-Wood-TV-Stand/s?k=Solid+Wood+TV+Stand

https://www.casabellafurniture.co.uk/wood-furniture/tv-hifi-units.html

1 Like

Nice pun :grin:

2 Likes

Why not make your own , my son did , he bought two slices of wood , online ,forget which tree it was from , its unique…makes a good conversation piece .

edit…, it was a Slab of Olive from Spain , bought it on E. Bay , really nice , and he had a steel frame made for supports .the supports are hidden when displayed with Books

1 Like

this after he stained it .

1 Like

We have different stores that sell cheap(ish) pine furniture. Of course pine is a soft wood so it can be more easily damaged than hard wood however it is easy to come by so the furniture is easy to replace. In the past I furnished my whole house with the stuff, it is only a bit more expensive than MDF

Try googling “pine furniture”, I would have thought the UK would have a lot of such businesses.

1 Like

I’d go for second hand pre-loved, Azz, Older furniture, what they call brown furniture, is well made, solid wood & not expensive as it’s out of fashion at present,.doesn’t mean it isn’t good. Make sure no wood worm though. Auction houses antique shops etc have it usually & if you search you are bound to find something suitable for your TV. Or find a carpenter who makes furniture & get them to make you one. I have several cabinets made by a craftsman, who sadly is no longer here.

2 Likes

Azz, I liked the quality and variety on offer at Oak Furnitureland - might be worth taking a look.

1 Like

They tend to call it upcycled round these parts. That’s where I’d look. Quite often old, solid but looks a bit rough. People fix it up, sometimes as a hobby and sell it on. Gumtree, Nextdoor …

Last year we bought a chest of draws from Petit Miracles Like the one in the picture for £145. Looks more fun than just straight forward pine.

This place is a charity getting old furniture donated, then people with special needs do it up.

2 Likes

Or what about one of these for a TV stand?

1 Like

Thanks for the replies everyone - some great ideas!

That looks lovely and what a brilliant idea! I did look at some DIY vids and I think I will have a go one day, though maybe not for this one as it’s going to be for the lounge and I’ve never made anything like it before :lol:

I was actually thinking about going on one of those Japanese woodworking courses, where they don’t use glues etc. The Japanese craftsmanship is probably the best in the world.

What are the legs like on his table @Eliza? Anymore pics?

Great idea Tiff - I would definitely consider second hand furniture in future as I am not a fan of ‘modern’ sofas etc with all their toxic chemicals. I was in a but of a rush for this TV stand tho so went ahead and ordered a new one.

Were they quite reasonable? Or did you have to pay a premium?

And @DianneWoollie

I looked on those sites but they didn’t have any the size and style I wanted. I think I found a nice one tho (I’ll post it below!)

Haha!

There are quite a lot of sites but it’s frustrating when they don’t let you filter by size!

Could definitely re-purpose that top Dood!

Here’s the one I ended up going with:

Seems quite reasonable given what many others are charging: Amazon.co.uk - though definitely would have been cheaper to build myself and I might give that a go one day :smiley:

This is it in the lounge , the legs were made out of thin steel , and it also becomes a book shelf, with a bottom piece .the TV sits on top .the guy in the pic is making the legs
Screenshot 2024-10-10 at 21.11.41

Screenshot 2024-10-10 at 21.19.41

1 Like

Looks awesome Eliza!! I love real wood furniture, esp things made from huge pieces like that :grin:

I paid £235 for the biggest cabinet, my TV sits on that & £175 for the smaller one. They are both pine. It was several years ago.

1 Like

I like Cotswold company - they say they use responsibly sourced wood. Much of their stuff comes with minimal or no assembly requirements.

1 Like

Just taken a few snaps of Husbands first carpentry makes…

all made from pallets

1 Like

Looking a tad hasbeen now… he made that in the UK about 20 years ago for our late Boyzee He was a real hunter cat, sadly it caused his premature death at 3 years old. He would only come home when his hunting had filled him…

The Pond build was not so difficult but expensive, was lined with thick plastic to stop leaks.

Just to clarify, was Hubby responsible for the receptacle and the Logs, or just the logs? :icon_wink:

1 Like

He buys his wood lenghts off Domique local land owner and he made the log box was one of his first Wood projects…Since that time he got friends with Jason of Mantel Chicken Farm and he took him on for making locals Chickens Pens of a high spec…That improved his skills immensely…