Real books vs e books?

I love my Kindle, I read so quickly I would need a library to stock my reading material if they were ordinary books.

Same here, I still have loads of books, I find it painful getting rid of them, I do hang on to all the classics.

I couldn’t enjoy a book on a device, makes my eyes funny. I still read normal books, from the library or charity hops.

I love to go to the library and browse through the books. I know they are not new but most books in librarys these days are kept in good condition or removed,There is so much to choose from

I love second hand book shops

Was at a vintage car show on Sunday and I wandered off to. find a second hand book shop where I whiled away an hour or so chatting to the owner, getting new recommendations

Came away with three new to me books, new to me Authors and once they are read I donate to the charity shop so they get read again

I love the feel of proper books.I was given a Kindle but gave it back after a few days.

I have tried to read from my laptop or tablet and am not happy with either. I’d like to join the trend as my wife and most of our kids and grandkids use their electronic “books”, but I guess I’m like the “old dog and new tricks”.

As I’m 85, I’m puzzled by the apparent difficulty some people have, of holding a book while reading? I read every evening, without fail, lying in bed with a reading light clipped to my book. I do understand if one has a crippling problem with their hands or arms, but holding a book for the average person??

I suppose it depends on the book, one of my photography books is so large that it can’t be read in bed, my casual reading is done on my kindle, but ‘proper’ books are in softback or hardback

Wading through amozon

Surely,  only  if  you  choose  the  erotica  section  LG, it  is  a  matter
of  choice?
Not  so?

Best  Regards.     Donkeyman.

Solution

You seem to have found the solution,rehab, scout for new
Stuff to read on kindle, do the real reading with real books

Best  regards     Donkeyman .

I like books and e-books, but e-books take up less room in the house and in my holiday luggage and don’t need to be tidied up or dusted. They’re a lot cheaper than the same version in paperback and I can get them “delivered” instantly. E-books mean nobody has to cut down trees to make the paper for my books, too.

Cut trees

All very true, Tachyon, but the fact that we use trees to make
paper does not mean we are destroying forests, the trees
we use are 90 % pine trees, which grow very quickly and
are grown specifically for making paper, and are grown in
plantations in a sustainable manner, and so never deplete.
lf we utilised our other natural resources in a similar manner
the world would be a better place.

Best   Regards           Donkeyman

Real books. The e-books you rent. The minute I heard Amazon (and other purveyors) was surreptitiously deleting paid for books from those readers, I wanted no part of that scam. If I want to ‘borrow’ a book, that’s what a library is for. If I want to pay a fee to borrow a book, that is what ILL is for.

First thing I do when I buy an ebook is rip out the DRM so the book is mine but also my Sony ebook is not part of the Kindle (attempted) monopoly

I have never paid for an ebook. In the days gone by before the Kindle I was finding free books from various online sites and reading them on a Psion.
Even now with the free daily offers from Amazon and the CDs that I was given that contain thousands of titles. There is no need for me to spend for my reading.
But saying that, I did buy 3 tree books recently from a charity shop that still gave me change from a £1.

Like Emjay I go for the free ebooks and download them. I still have a lot of actual books that I’d not part with. But my real love these days are Audio Books, I also download free ones to my desk computer. In the Winter I like to do online jigsaws and listen to a book at the same time.

I love my e-book no question.

There is no contest with a real book.

A real book is more cumbersome, heavier, thicker.

You can’t read it at night without some external light source which invariably annoys your partner who is trying to sleep.
Clipping lamps to the book is simply a “Heath Robinson” solution. Just ridiculous in the face of an e-book with illumination.

I can hold an e-book in one hand very comfortably and easily. I can flick to the next or previous page with that same one hand. You can not do that with a real book.

When I travel, I carry 100s of books with me in that one small device which I can choose from and read at my leisure. Those with real books need tons of space in their suitcases and all that extra weight. Just silly TBH.

Notions of having something real and tangible in the form of a real book are entirely valid I feel the same way about music.

HOWEVER . . . .

If you are savvy then this isn’t actually a problem.

Like Bruce, I too immediately convert all the books I buy from Amazon and strip away the DRM. The book is then MINE and mine for perpetuity. It IS at that point a real tangible thing that belongs to me and which if I chose I could give to anyone else, just like giving them a real book.

Point of fact, I don’t do that, but I strip the DRM and convert all books to ePub format nevertheless because I deem it sensible and right to do so. If I buy a book, regardless of who I buy it from, then it should become mine to do as I please.

With the dire reputation that Kindles have these days, I instead opted for a Kobo for my second e-Reader purchase when my original Kindle gave up the ghost. It’s a super portable and brilliant device. Backlit of course and adjustable so I can read at night with minimal illumination without affecting my partner’s sleep.

The battery lasts months, yes months ! And the device can hold 1000s of books.

It’s a no brainer.

It looks and reads the same as any book. Black and white, same font and the font size is of course adjustable. Something a real book doesn’t offer !

For those that read this is one of those areas where being a dinosaur is seriously limiting.

An e-Reader is a really really good investment.

I just use my phone or iPad - way more functionality than an e-reader although I can understand the appeal of the latter.

I find Kindle paperwhites way easier on the eye for reading.
I love mine and use it all the time.

I have my iPad on a low brightness with tru-tone on - it makes a difference. The main problem is remembering to charge the device if I’m lost in a book, something e-readers don’t suffer from.

I turn on the airplane mode so I’m not bothered with distractions.