Reaching incompetence

…Anyone remember the Peter Principle–the idea that you reach a level of incompetence? At least that’s how I remember it.

Well, turns out I’ve reached my level of incompetence with technology–it is now beyond my ability to learn it and trust it.

Then I realize, whatever I know about technology, I have had to learn on my own, no one taught me–I didn’t take classes. And I realize that as soon as I master one small bit of technology, wham! update! changes!

And to add to my frustration–didn’t Bill Gates ever hear of the alphabet? Why aren’t listings in settings in alphabetical order???

technology itself has built in incompetence. How else would they make their money in launching new versions of the same product?

When I went to school the word " computer" wasn’t even invented let alone mobile phones- laptops etc. Maths were mainly worked out using a bitg of brain power.

quote “Anyone remember the Peter Principle–the idea that you reach a level of incompetence? At least that’s how I remember it.” unquote. A Canadian thing? ,never heard of it here in the UK
[

Never heard of it.

The Peter principle is commonly known over here and often referred to.

I can remember the Peter Principle being talked about and, come to think of it, have seen it in action.

You obviously suffered a deprived childhood, The Eagle was full of stuff telling us how the world was going to change because of computers of the future. Houses were going to be automatically cleaned by computer controlled vacuum systems, phones were going to be all video calls (though not mobile phones - Blue Peter taught me about that), cars were going to drive themselves following electric wires in the road. It was a Brave New World.

…and of course there was always Dan Dare!

They never mentioned faxes or computers being used to write letters or books or indeed, the Internet of Things, who’d have guessed?

When I was a Youth in Training in the early 60’s my City and Guilds class was taken to Canterbury Uni to see their computer with the 4k of RAM taking up half a room all to itself, another massive room held all the mechanical bits and processing unit. Programming was done by paper tape and took all night to load.

1 Like