RE sony FDR AX53 camcorder

Ok time for spending a bit of cash. So I have beem looking at getting a wide angle lens for my camcorder, and not easy to find one that fits the camcorder lens thread of 55mm. However again with research I came up with the choice of three.
First was the Neewer (also sold under Tectra, Altura) but what put me off straight away although it had the widest front but not designed specifically for this camcorder

with the camcorder at its widest the lens attachment showed up around the edge and was out of focus on the sides. So have to zoom in a bit to avoid.This was an instant nono to purchase. After all one should not have to adjust a zoom first when wide open

Next was the lens by bower which I went for in the end. Hopefully being a bit shorter than the Neewer.

Ok it has a smaller front end but being shorter should allow for prevention of the lens ring showing. Also can be used as a macro lens. OK the tower leans back a bit granted but that can be easily corrected in PP, the point is it will still be in shot

Last was the Raynox but at about 4x the cost out of the question

So settled for the BOWER version on the basis that as shown in picture of the building it shows the top of the tower as well as being wide with no loss of sharpness on the sides.
One pain in the backside is this like many photographic accessories are not available in the UK or not that I could find new so ordered from the USA

Those pictures can be seen better on the website if interested

so why get one anyway?
simple answer is a lot of my building photos and others do not show the top without standing so far way then other details get lost. then again going too wide any buildings either side look as though they are leaning towards the photo centre.
Please ask if you have any questions about this and I will do my best to answer

example of what I want to avoid

yes when panning a video notice how I have had to point the lens upwards to show it all. How much better to keep on the same level plain. maybe a minor point but still annoying

2 Likes

Probably cheaper and more convenient to buy a Go Pro Hero, You can pick them up for $400 or couple hundred pounds.

Bruce this bit of kit is under £50 including postage from the USA, we can’t seem to have it over here

s-l500
does macro and 2x magnification designed for this camcorder of mine

All photos below taken at widest settings from same position

The first thing I noticed was this with the camcorder

due to not having the vertical/horizontal length the blue part of the sky was left out as well as a huge section of my house

taken with the Nikon D810 @24mm which I want to achieve with the camcorder more or less

even the Lumix compact managed the sky but not the width

So hopefully instead of lugging around a heavy camera good for photos and not bad for videos by getting this conversion lens may solve this issue
OK it is primarily for video work but should take a reasonable picture as well

1 Like

I was going to suggest the Bower out of the 4, simply because the Neewer not only captures less, but has a bad fisheye effect. Too bad that Raynox is excellent, except the price.

@realspeed Can’t you put an adapter ring on your camcorder to change the 55mm?

Glad you agree Danny, Just had confirmation it has been dispatched but won’t arrive here in the uk for a couple of weeks or so. This comes with an adaptor ring to fit 55mm thread, another reason why I got it from this seller

55mm Wide Angle Lens and 2X Telephoto LensFor Sony FDR-AX53 Camcorder
Lens ring adapter 55-58mm is included. Maybe even the distortion will be minimal

This took a bit of finding. There was one offered in the UK for about £20 used but had no rear end cap, If they are that careless to loose it the question of condition arises as in scratched glass etc.
I am a bit fussy where photographic equipment is concerned

link to my decision

1 Like

One thing I do like about this camcorder you can actually take photos while recording, how neat is that ?

1 Like

Have you seen this? I was floored. I want one!!! :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

No Sue would not like the mess and she is the boss

Had a go using the wide angle lens in the kitchen just now on the Sonyon a trripod in same position for both shots

WIDE ANGLE more vertical as well as horizonal view

NORMAL

I think this would be good for indoor videos showing the inside of a home

2 Likes

Yes I agree…you mean for something like an estate agents?

yes exactly

Well the Sony camcorder is now advertised on Ebay by my son. Have people 2 after it but at the moment below asking price. It still has 4 days to run so if nothing else exciting to see if it reaches the reserve. Any bits left not sold I will sell as a bundle to get rid of hopefully. Tthe alternative is to go P/X, we shall see

Out of interest looking at the camcorder I am considering buying I have been checking where these companies on the internet are based. Although they have a UK (london) phone number some business is based overseas I found out with a bit of investigation. Seems they do their best not to disclose their address which makes me suspicious, and that much harder to return if faulty , Also some of the usual UK retailers do not have an in house repair facility . I have actually found one that does so may well buy from them later on.

It’s a pity you didn’t put this in the Rhino Run thread then we could have had the double joy of updates on both the subscribers and bids on your camcorder.

A missed opportunity.

Something that just popped up in my inbox. Some expert advice from people who make videos for a living. It might save you a lot of time and money.

This is their channel so you can check out their expertise.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thejuicemedia

thank you will check it out

I just thought it would save you selling your Sony and buying a far more expensive camera that you don’t need.

Fair comment but the Sony just doesn’t do it for me, to many restrictions and mainly only one memory card slot so no means of doing a backup. Looks as if your honest government need to update their equipment also.

Check out the spec on the Panasonic HC-X1500 as that is the one I am looking at to buy

I had a look at it but personally I think it is a ridiculous sum for a happy amateur to pay for a camcorder unless they are going to produce some very polished videos with the aim of making some money and a future career out of it.

If it was me I would be more than happy with something like this for a lot lot less than half the price.