Rather a Lot Of Computers Being Bought!

An analyst (Canalys) reports that 82 Million Computers were sold between January & March 2021.

That’s just for one quarter for one year.

Quite a lot eh?

1 Like

Gosh yes…is it because everyone is working from home and the companies need to supply their employees with technology to do it, d’you think?

I expect a lot of them went to kids studying at home during lockdown. I wonder how many will actually be returned to their schools now they’ve reopened.

If it’s for the UK, yes; if it’s for the world, maybe - there are over 2 billion computers in the world, including servers, desktops, and laptops.

Oh yes, Percy, of course…the children need them too. I imagine they will mostly be returned if they are registered to the school and not the individual. You can’t authorise upgrades, etc without admin passwords, so after a while they will become just inoperable.

It’s quoted as a world number.

Apparently Lenovo is the biggest seller, in the world, at the mo!

https://www.canalys.com/analysis/channels+analysis

I bought one of them.

Do you know who bought all the others, LD?

:shock:

Hang on. I’ll Google it on my new laptop. :-p

There did seem to be a bit of a shortage at one point, lots of lap tops out of stock. I waited around six months before my one was in stock again.

Maybe there was a rush on buying computers due to the lockdown, then added to that a lack of supply due to a shortage of computer chips? See link below:

There’s also a thread on OFF discussing the shortage:

I am not surprised, how many computers per household?

I use two desktops but one is almost exclusively dedicated to downloading (it is old and slow). Then there are three laptops, this one I use for travelling in Australia, a netbook I used for overseas travel (probably not to be used again) and an old laptop I keep for visitors to use.

Finally I have couple of working 8" tablets that I use for emails, Ebay and the like. To be honest one should be in the bin but I like the 4:3 screen over the newer one’s 16:9.

Not to mention my phone!

That is the world we live in, I doubt it is exceptional especially if you are younger and have kids.

That sounds like overkill to me Brucy ?
Unless it earns you a couple of million pa.!
Are you sure you are not addicted to tech ??
Tech for techs sake ??

Donkeyman!

I’m pretty much the same.
Or I was until recently but I’ve been slimming them down a little & I’m purposely not getting a new lappy just yet either.
I keep saying that I must resist because even the oldest laptop (mine) is quite modern with reasonable memory and an SSD.
But I want a more-powerful real desktop replacement and every time I see one that I quite like the look of, those devils at AMD bring out a better range of processors!
Oh decisions!
:blush:

For now here there are the 2 PC’s plus my own and 2 family laptops as well as a couple of 10-inch & an 8-inch tablet, and we’ve got Amazon Echo Shows in a quite a few rooms & the lounge one is a ten-inch version too!
:shock:

When you add phones into the equasion there’s a lot of computing power in this house.
:smiley:

In the case of the huge numbers sold though I suspect as others have said that a mixture of distance learning and working from home has led to the numbers sold.

Hi

The pandemic is the problem.

The capacity to produce the chips is lacking and it takes time to build the new capacity.

The auto industry is suffering, with production suspended.

Taiwan is the big winner, which is why the Chinese are getting more aggressive towards it.

Heavens, this made me think and tot up what we have…I personally have 2 laptops (1 current, 1 old that I use as a back up) 1 tablet (android) 3 phones (2 old ones for music storage, and 1 iphone) 1 Alexa. Mr P has two work laptops and a work computer, with a work tablet coming imminently. That’s quite horrific actually, I would never have me down as any kind of techy person! :shock:

Hi

I have one working laptop, one working tablet, one working smartphone and a smartwatch.

Oooh! I am fascinated by the smartwatches, Swimmy…what do you use it for?

Hi

I have an alarm button round my neck which only works at home and calls the emergency services.

My smartwatch has the same function when I am away from home.

It monitors my exercise levels and other health information and gives me warnings.

I have unstable angina, and a bad attack means that sometimes I cannot reach my phone but can use my watch.

I have a system which uses what 3 words to transmit my location if I need urgent help.

That sounds really good, Swimmy…glad you are so organised in getting help when you need it. I have heard of what3words…never had to use it, thankfully, but if I get lost it will be helpful :smiley:

Hi

I am organised, I refuse to give in, I intend to last longer and enjoy every day.