Raising up microphone on board camera

I keep on comming up with the same problem. A wind cheater " deadcat" I have which is excellent with very long hairs on it. So the hairs show up at the top of the picture/video

another thing is to get the microphone pointing foreward. So here is a solution to both issues I came up with

Using a plastic extender “the bit with the square end” raises the microphone up enough.

By stripping out a piece of external electrical cable and placing it over the thread

acts not only as a spacer but covers the thread and also creates a resistance to the microphone pointing the wrong way

Simple fix and costing nothing

This might be a silly question, but couldn’t you just trim the overhanging hairs? I mean, its clever how you re-adjusted the seating, but…I would have trimmed the underside a little before doing the fix. Am I missing the point? :woman_shrugging:

Well at least you’re asking the right person. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Now, now, don’t be mean…what do YOU know about deadcats anyway? No point in asking you, is there?! :joy:

1 Like

Why not just stick a hairnet on it? :thinking:

Hairnets wouldn’t work…unless there are midges around.

Part it down the middle then? :102:

Good question not silly stupid replies already. The reason for the hairs is to deflect wind noise blowing across the face of the microphone. If i had cut the hairs this wind resistance would be much less. The other reason was if I only used the microphone it would not face foreward but sideways due to stud thread length.

Ahh ok, yes I get that. Well it looks like a clever fix without having to damage anything or reduce its efficiency :+1: