Radio DJ’s.. A Nostalgic Pic

He still has shows on Radio 2 on a Saturday morning and another on Sunday evening.

Deleted.

Oooh get you, famous family!

Yes, its such a shame how life works out really. I haven’t heard him on the radio for ages, mind you…but I do like his voice. Same with DLT, and the other one, whatsisname…Steve Wright (not in the photo)

This has got me thinking, I remember Kid Jensen, Emperor Rosko, Johnie Walker, Nicky Horne.

Left to right. Pete Drummond, Tony Blackburn, Mike Raven, Dave Cash, Duncan Johnson, Chris Denning, Ed Stewart, Mike Ahearn, John Peel, Emperor Rosko, Mike Lennox and Kenny Everett.

Pete Drummond, Dave Cash, Chris Denning Ed Stewart, Kenny Everett & John Peel were all former Big L, Radio London members. Chris Denning was convicted of child sex offences. The first conviction being back in the 70’s whilst working for Jonathon King’s record company.

79?? Oh my word…

I’m impressed. I could only name one or two.

I used to listen to Pick Of The Pops on Sunday evenings. The boy next door was the same age and listened too. Our bedrooms were next to each other. We would hang out of our windows listening to our transistor radios. i remember one very warm summer evening when they actually called out his name for winning a competition and we both nearly fell out of our windows. :rofl:

1 Like

Crikey. Richard O’Sullivan was perfect as Man About The House. he is a poor old thing now though and living in a nursing home following a severe stroke some years ago. Very sad. His TV housemate Paula Wilcox is still looking good in Coronation Street.

1 Like

John Peel was a cut above, really knew his music, and had a pleasant radio voice.

Steve Wright was funny.

Tony Blackburn: nauseating.

Radio one breakfast show back in the late 60’s through the 70’s was the slot to have .

Were Diddy David Hamilton, Fluff Freeman and Mike Smith, Radio 1 DJ’s?

I am something of an anorak. I have several friends who were involved in offshore broadcasting & many recordings from the offshore eras, which were the 60’s, 70’s & 80’s.

A great site for checking out favourite offshore DJ’s or engineers is The pirate radio hall of fame. They are all there.

https://www.offshoreradio.co.uk/

Sunday at 4:00, throughout the 60s, throughout my teens.

1 Like

Remember it well, siblings in their teens had it on , after at 7pm sing something simple ?

You’ve got me singing sing something simple to myself.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yes, and it was Alan “Fluff” Freeman that was responsible for turning me onto prog rock. He used to play ELP, Pink Floyd, Yes, etc A LOT. In fact, I suggest it is his voice that is used at the beginning of “Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. Ladies and gentlemen, Emerson, Lake and Palmer.”

Percy, Didn’t Fluff call us ‘pop-pickers’?

Thanks for reminding me - yes, he did.

The photo in the original post, was I belive taken at the time Radio 1 opened & it is of all the ex offshore DJ’s who the Radio employed. So not people like Alan Freeman or Brian Matthews etc who had worked for the BBC prior to this.

People like Brian & Fluff were largely side stepped due to the audience & credibility that the off shore DJ’s brought with them.