Radio DJ’s.. A Nostalgic Pic

I came across this pic today and it brought back so many memories of Radio 1 DJ’s in the late 1960/70’s.
Many had come from the pirate ship, Radio Caroline.

Can you remember any of the DJ’s in the photograph? Do you have any memories of this time and did you have a favourite disc jockey?

Blimey … John Ravenscroft (Peel) (3rd from right back row) with many others I remember👍

Where’s Edmonds and DLT, Simon Dee next to Blackburn at the front ?

Is that Ed Stewart back row?

1 Like

In the white suit ?

1 Like

Yep that’s the one. I may be wrong of course :grinning:

Not in this case, Crackerjack !!

1 Like

Goodness … what a load of nostalgia rolled into one photo.

That was a great find Art.

I recognise maybe 3 or 4…and I remember Tony Blackburn getting upset when he was talking about his divorce in his show. I was far too young to know what was going on, but I do remember thinking that he shouldn’t play sad songs if he was going to cry!

I remember Tony Blackburn too … it was awful to listen to him, he sounded so sad and broken. I guess it’s easy to dwell … and forget you’re on air.

1 Like

I looked him up just a minute ago and apparently he became addicted to Valium after that. However he is free from that now, and happily married with a daughter. :+1:

Morti, I was ‘googling’ something this morning and the photo of them all came up in ‘images’.
He was good-looking then… now look at him! He is 79 now!

1 Like

Pixie, Years ago, when l used to listen to Radio 1, Tony Blackburn was going out with actress Tessa Wyatt who he was madly in love with. I think it was a Carpenter’s song he kept playing in dedication to her.
They married but divorced after 5 years. They had a son.
Tessa Wyatt, then married my cousin, actor Richard O’Sullivan.

2 Likes

He still has shows on Radio 2 on a Saturday morning and another on Sunday evening.

Deleted.

Oooh get you, famous family!

Yes, its such a shame how life works out really. I haven’t heard him on the radio for ages, mind you…but I do like his voice. Same with DLT, and the other one, whatsisname…Steve Wright (not in the photo)

This has got me thinking, I remember Kid Jensen, Emperor Rosko, Johnie Walker, Nicky Horne.

Left to right. Pete Drummond, Tony Blackburn, Mike Raven, Dave Cash, Duncan Johnson, Chris Denning, Ed Stewart, Mike Ahearn, John Peel, Emperor Rosko, Mike Lennox and Kenny Everett.

Pete Drummond, Dave Cash, Chris Denning Ed Stewart, Kenny Everett & John Peel were all former Big L, Radio London members. Chris Denning was convicted of child sex offences. The first conviction being back in the 70’s whilst working for Jonathon King’s record company.

79?? Oh my word…

I’m impressed. I could only name one or two.