Quite A Simple Recipe To Make A Rustic Loaf. No Kneading Required

A friend gave me this recipe but it does require a Le Creuset or similar casserole/pot, or Dutch oven type/heavy kitchenware 10” or larger.

450g of strong flour. I used 225g Cotswold Crunch strong flour with malt flakes and 225gms white strong flour.
2 teaspoons of instant yeast.
2 teaspoons of salt
375ml very warm water 55C/130F

Mix flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl.
Add water, mix with wooden handle. The dough will be wet.
Cover with cling film. Leave for 2-3 hours until double in volume. (Mine took a lot longer!)
Preheat oven to 220C fan oven. Place Le Creuset casserole dish or similar in oven with lid on and heat for 30mins prior to adding the dough and baking.
Shape dough with spatula into a rough shape. Transfer to baking paper. Flip dough, so the seam is underneath.
Remove pot from oven. Use paper to place dough in the very hot pot.
Place lid on and bake 30mins covered then 12 minutes uncovered.
Cool on rack by lifting greaseproof paper out of pot.

My bread did stick to the paper so it might be good to grease the paper first. I placed it on some wet kitchen paper towels and did manage to remove most of it.

5 Likes

Hi @Artangel did it taste good . Ive not got a suitable pot but thanks for posting .

4 Likes

That looks really delicious, thank you, I’m going to try that flour :pray: Thank you

I’ve seen recipes where people have cooked something like this in the slow cooker, never tried it though

This looks a bit similar to yours

4 Likes

Eliza, It tasted very nice but l’m wondering if it was the malt flakes that played havoc with my intestine? (I won’t elaborate!)
It could have been purely coincidental but…

2 Likes

Maree, Thank You for posting your recipe. The bread looks very similar.

I forgot to state on my first post that the recipe stated ‘Kosher’ salt.
I’d never heard of it before, it seems it’s pure salt with no additions to it. I’m not sure what difference it would make to the bread?
I just used normal salt.

1 Like

:+1: I think yours might work in the slow cooker too

Looks an interesting loaf Art, just by coincidence I was looking at that flour in Tesco the other day and was in two minds of trying it so maybe I will now next week…:blush:

We bake bread every week of different types, so just a tip regarding proving if you are new to the bread game… We put a pyrex jug of boiling water in the microwave and then put the bread in with it to prove, which normally takes an hour or so because of the constant warmth given out by the hot water. The microwave seems to easily retain the heat for the second proving too without reheating the water… it works for us anyway…

That looks so good. I wonder if I could make a gluten free loaf in the crock pot.

@Artangel As your recipe used Cotswold Crunch Strong Flour, that might be the cause of your stomach reaction. I make my no kneading necessary Challah with standard plain flour from Tesco 69p (Stockwell & Co) and that produces no side effects. My recipe (using ordinary salt) also uses eggs and honey, so perhaps its those extra ingredients that have the calming effect :man_shrugging: