Pubs of Interest Around the UK

I meet my Husband at a young age…I was coming home from an Exhibition for the Motor Show at Earls Court…1965…went for free with a days pay via our employer the Government with my best late mate Rosi…He had been there also with his best friend Cliff P…who she also married…
Our 1st date was arranged that we meet in the Leslie Arms Addiscombe but was a stones throw from where I lived and he lived…him in a old house renting one floor of it with two mates…Cliff and Eddy…
The Pub…

It was a Pub that Rosi and I would go in on our way out to whatever we had planned…never actually mixed with the locals and they use to make comments about us…as two females together and just laughing and chatting and ignoring others around us…yes you got that…
Anyway life changed rapidly…1966-1967 was a bad year and not up for discussion…
1967 we got married and within no time at all…Beddington where we purchased our first real home ,our locals where one of two…
The Plough…Beddington Surrey and the Harvest Home…

https://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/resources/images/1672154.jpg?

display=1&htype=100000&type=responsive-gallery
right beside the Plough some caves buried with a mound…

it get all quite interesting going back to the start…
1743 was first built…

Any pubs of interest in your location?

3 Likes

This is a very interesting and good idea for a topic.
When I was last in Cardiff most of my regular haunts had disappeared.Pubs in the UK seem to be vanishing at an alarming rate.Or perhaps it’s just in Wales?

1 Like

There was one till it wasn’t… Tommy Ducks in Manchester … It was THE place to go on a pub crawl in the days of debauchery… before it vanished overnight :upside_down_face:

I’ve still got a glass that I nicked. Memorabilia from the bad/good old days :flushed:

2 Likes

Shame but True…the Lesley Arms Addiscombe seen this recently

1 Like

One of my locals,I used to go in every night on the way home from work, is even in a museum. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Bellies Brae, Kirriemuir

1 Like

more to add,hopefully tomorrow… :+1:

Imgur

If the tide was in and it was a bit windy you could get half soaked before you got in the pub.I don’t think it’s there anymore.

3 Likes

This pub is close to us, and is steeped in history. It hasn’t changed much from when it was built.

Old picture of the pub

As it is to day. The fact it is listed means it hasn’t changed

4 Likes

This pub we used to go to on a Friday lunch time. Was close to the MoD in Bath where I worked at the time.

Was known for its real cider

Old photo of pub

As it is now

4 Likes

The Hatchet in Bristol. Venue I used to go to for the rock music

3 Likes

:innocent:whoops

I can remember going there a few times in the mid 60’s with my late friend Rosi…can remember climbing up from one floor to the next and the wooden stairs I think they curved around ,not sure…
Always was full of laughter and lots of what seemed like different people back then… :thinking: :zipper_mouth_face

3 Likes

Nottingham – Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem is a public house which claims to have been established in 1189 (Grade II listed)

1 Like

When we had family living at home…We always had a touring caravan in some shape or form…so would spend a lot of weekends away…right from when they are really young toddlers…in fact our 1st one an old Sprite 400 and cost just a few hundred pounds…two beds and 5 of us…the family were small enough for all 3 to share the one bed…
So the Rye area became part of our travels…this pub William the Conqueror was right by Rye Harbour ,a great spot for a pint…

easy read style of the history of Wm the Conquerer

:

2 Likes

This is a good old fashioned Black Country pub where I used to drink:
Ye Olde Leathern Bottel

2 Likes

Certainly a good reminder of how many good ole public houses there are about everywhere
When we 1st got married we had no car and would catch a bus to South Norwood…the pub The Ship…cant really remember why that one was chosen by us…must have just felt homely we did use to have a meal in there also…I read a while back that it had closed down and then out of the blue the owners were accused of turning the Pub into Flats…All reverted and it is now a Public House again…Husband jokes thanks to that pub we ended up with 3 babies within the 1st year of marriage…how silly… :innocent:
https://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/13641584.could-south-norwoods-the-ship-pub-re-open-after-developers-about-face/
This a fair read…although about Norwood Pubs it is quite a general articale…
Norwood Pubs

1 Like

This is such an interesting thread reading the history and the good times had in these pubs

3 Likes

Another Bristol Pub steeped in history

2 Likes

no …it’s gone Ps…like most of the old Cardiffian pubs

1 Like