Pubs beg for help to combat energy prices!

I have a horrible feeling you could be right about her.

3 Likes

Yes, one of the reasons that country pubs struggled to survive. Unless they do meals no point in driving out to them. I just couldnā€™t bring myself to go into pub for a cup of teaā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why theyā€™re called ā€¦pub crawls ā€¦

4 Likes

As long as you can walk to it Dex. In the old days when I couldnā€™t walk after a session, as long as someone sat me in my motor I could manage to drive homeā€¦
:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Definitely up for that. Iā€™ll meet you at the station in half an hour. Iā€™ve go and dig out my Ken Dodd tickling stick.

3 Likes

Oh for those glorious days of waking up around 3pm next day with one hell of a hangover and not necessarily in ones own house let alone bed. My mate had a very comfortable garden bench I seem to remember

2 Likes

A cheese grater will do if you canā€™t find it.

2 Likes

Alas, the world has changed since the happy old drink n drive days.

Returning to topic though, and using very rough ballpark figures as an example rather than specificsā€¦it used to cost less the Ā£5 per day to heat and cook and wash in a house. It looks like this may well rise to Ā£15+ per day. This makes staying at home economically non viable, so other places need to be set up which will, in reality, mitigate this somewhat. Ergo local pubs reemerging.

1 Like

Who is going to be able to afford drinks/meals out?

1 Like

@realspeed , l slept in the outside toilet a couple of times !!
Me mum was a very hard woman !! :-1::frowning::frowning::-1:

1 Like

Trouble is Dex, they shut our two village pubs so the nearest one is about two miles away.
Apparently Doncaster is one of the most unsafe places to walk around at nightā€¦

1 Like

My mum had a neighbour whose husband frequently got the worse for wear at the local - which, fortunately for him, but unfortunately for her, was just a few steps from their house.

One particularly memorable night was when it had got way past midnight and he still wasnā€™t home (though the landlord was infamous for his ā€˜lock-insā€™ after hours - the local bobby was often among those locked in :joy:). Anyway, she decided to turn in, and as she went into her bedroom (they lived in a bungalow), she heard a kerfuffle outside, so she went to investigate. And there she found her husband, sitting in their fish pond, snoring his head off. When my mum asked her what she did, she just shrugged her shoulders and said ā€œI left him to it, I didnā€™t want him coming in dripping pond weed all over the carpet.ā€ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Ooh I like your style :joy:

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t need to be a full meal and piddle up. Would have thought that a publican would prefer to have a full establishment breaking even during the daytime, and create special deals to help facilitate this somehow.

Thatā€™s a shame. Guess Iā€™m referring to other viable that wouldnā€™t work everywhere.

Either way, I canā€™t help but feel that itā€™s not going to be sensible for everyone to spend their time heating their own house, rather than agree to take it in turns to have a few people over so that the visitors can turn off their heaters for a few hours each day without loss of warm comfort.

1 Like

@Dextrous63 , Thats wot l was getting at ?? Ergo, the log fires and pianna !!
Song books could be provided, and the landlord could conduct while
serving hot toddies heated by the log fire ??
Modern pulicans aint got no imagination it seems ?
:frowning::frowning:
, ,

4 Likes

Great minds think alike. ā€¦

@OldGreyFox , Open yer own pub then OGF! Government gives business
loans to entrepeneurs !! :+1::grin::+1:

3 Likes

Mrs Fox would probably drink all the profits Donkeymanā€¦
She likes a tippleā€¦
:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Hi

They have given me a hospital bed, a full electric one, at home.

It has replaced one of the sofas in the lounge.

I can sit in it during the day and sleep in it at night.
It is next to the big fish tank and opposite the TV

It is the only room I need to heat, it is draught proof with full length thermal curtains and a gas fire and radiator control ed by a wireless thermostat.

As snug as a bug in a rug at minimal possible cost.

3 Likes