Public emergency message released ahead of UK test

What’s the point of warning folks in Kent about a flood in Yorkshire?

1 Like

I think you might be being a tad naive if you think this is intended for flood and weather warnings….

3 Likes

Do you really think I think that!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

We had all this; reliable and simple.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/school-radio/history-ks2-world-war-2-clips-air-raid-siren-sounds-the-warning
Air-raid sirens. . They became an almost daily part of life in the capital a year later during the height of the Blitz. When people heard the siren they would stop what they were doing and make for a shelter.

But people would just stand and wonder what to do if a siren went off, much better to be told what to do by their smartphones

If they work, anything smart is dumb.imo Technology can be tampered with…

Emojis seem to be the preferred communication for youngsters.

1 Like
1 Like

While given that some kind of planning/ forethought would be essential, the practicalities and the logistics are unfathomable.

I was back in London yesterday, getting through the barriers wasn’t always quite as efficient as it could have been.

Imagine the clamour if there were to be some kind of four minute warning? The Bethnal Green Tube disaster springs to mind.

1 Like

I switched off the alerts in settings, I don’t need to know what’s going on in other parts of the country. Nor do I want the damn thing going off when I’m driving or on one of the clydes.:roll_eyes:
My News App tells me what I need to know.:sunglasses:

Won’t be coming to me cheapo phone then.

2 Likes

I think it will be a useful addition - especially as there will be no need to alert the whole country if the threat is a localised issue - the way they are using the phone signals, they can narrow down the broadcast of the message from phone signal masts in a specific area, if the threat is only a local one, so only phones in that area will pick up the message.

I don’t understand why people are being so cynical about it - other countries use an emergency alert system for rolling out urgent messages and it works for them. U.K. have been working on this since 2014, so why are folk assuming this is only something to do with a nuclear threat?

If anything, I think the increase in serious flooding in recent years and the recent serious fires across large areas of moorland is a good enough reason to think it’s time we had some emergency warning system.

Although there may be folk who will want to switch it off - nobody is stopping them doing that.

I didn’t think about people who may be at risk and are hiding a secret phone - but Womens Aid have thought of it and have issued advice on how to switch it off.
“Sometimes victims of domestic abuse may have a hidden mobile phone, so it’s important to take the necessary steps to disable these alerts before they come to your phone. Scroll down to the bottom of this page for a guide to turn these alerts off on your device.”

Surely it wouldn’t be telling you things happening in other parts of the country?

The only one I have received was for a serious toxic fire a couple of Km away. I don’t receive such messages intended for other areas. The are only sent out from vey specific phone towers covring a local area.

1 Like

I don’t know Bruce, as I mostly live in the back of beyond I don’t think I need it. Last time there was any threat here was from a tanker that had hit some rocks in the Pentland Firth and was leaking oil, causing a massive clear up and rescue of wildlife. Our jungle drums are very quick to let us know if anythings going on.
Perhaps if I lived in a big city down south, where lots goes on I may have kept it.

Got it switched off on my phone.

1 Like

Well … there’s a conspiracy theory going around that when the government got us all to have the covid booster, they sneakily injected some device to swim about in our veins, which is now lurking, waiting to be remotely triggered … on Sunday 23rd April

So be prepared to see loads of people behaving strangely … indeed, you might be one of them! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Strange stuff has been going on, on here for yonks, well before the Jabs :grin:

I guess it wasn’t UK wide as I’ve just put my phone off for the day and nothing of that sort came in. Actually, I was expecting a message but nothing came.

I just received this message only a few minutes ago. It seems even the police have access to it

Anyway if you see her let them know.

:rofl::rofl:Tell us more. Should I start panicking and stock up on toilet rolls?

1 Like

You mean you haven’t already? To late now, matey, it’s leaves, sandpaper and a funny walk for you :peach: