Pub chains & maths!

As the government prepares to unveil its Budget, City Pub Group said price rises were “the only way forward”.

The price of beer “would probably have to go up by 25 to 30p a pint” to take account of all that, Mr Watson said.

The government increases the price of the minimum wage next April & by just 27p per hour & this pub chain want to increase the price of a pint by 30p, per pint!!

How many pints does the City Pub Group sell per hour? Yes they will face pay rises for all staff, not just those selling beer & yes tax, national insurance etc will have an impact on any pump price rise,. But even if each bar member serves only a dozen pints per hour that is £3.60 per hour for just a 27p rise in pay per hour & even in a quiet pub 10 pints per hour is low. And this as a result of the very same budget that has cut business rates, beer tax & National Insurance!!

For City Pub Group to focus on the 27p per hour pay rise for it’s lowest paid staff & totally ignore the reductions in NI, Business rates & beer tax makes them look greedy. Especially when according to companies house Clive Watson was paid £173,000 in 2019 & another Director received £278,000, so I wonder how much per pint goes towards their salaries?

4 Likes

I was thinking the same myself @Gee3 , some pubs are going to make a killing with this.

1 Like

@Gee3 , No wonder pubs are closing down ??
If l lived in London l’d be teatotal !!
Donkeyman! :-1::frowning::-1:

1 Like

I used to live near London but having been teetotal for the last 60 years pubs and the cost of a pint make no difference to my life.
:grinning:

From what I hear about the cost of drinking pubs have in the past made a killing anyway. Don’t they ever consider that it’s the ever-increasing cost of a pint at the local pub that has stopped people going to the pub as they used to? I know restaurants and pubs are different in pricing but at a local restaurant recently, a double gin cost £9 – for a drink, absolutely extortionate!
:frowning_face:

My paternal grandparents ran two London pubs as tenants and I can remember them telling me the huge profits from mixers etc. A lemonade shandy was their favourite money spinner.

That’s a drink that you don’t hear of now…a lemonade shandy

1 Like

Prolly coz it requires the bar tender to actually think AND become involved.

1 Like

@LongDriver , l remember when the tonic water makers tried
to force us to buy the tiny tins of tonic water by creating a
shortage of bottles , this was in south Africa so l’m not sure
if it happened in UK, sales of tonic water collapsed !!
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

1 Like

They tried the little tins here too, but they didn’t catch so disappeared. It’s all bottles again and the frequent request of a large G&T with ice and a slice is a popular call :+1:

You can still buy the little tins (boxes of 12) in the supermarkets and cash ‘n’ carries.

Shows how much profit can be made from a pint of beer

1 Like

Following today’s budget announcement, some charges will be going down, but as yet I do not know which.

Sunak unveils overhaul of alcohol duty and tax cuts on some drinks | Autumn budget 2021 | The Guardian
EDIT … Shares prices in pub companies jumped immediately after Sunak spoke, with JD Wetherspoons gaining nearly 6%, Mitchells & Butlers3.8% and City Pub Group 2.3%.

1 Like

Tax cuts on Rose wine and a 3p reduction on beer plus 50% reduction on business rates.

2 Likes

That 15% is long overdue …beat that Max Headroom!! I’m still laughing over that Ed Stone FFS!!!

1 Like

The pub I worked received all of it’s bottled Coke free. It was before post mix & we would go through upto 20 cases of bottled coke a day & it was all free. When postmix came in, it cost us 3p per pint & we sold it for about 30p per half pint. And if we added ice first for more than that.

2 Likes