Pru and Danny death road trip

Watched this programme regarding euthanasia, quite difficult but interesting . I have to say I am in agreement . Obviously strictly supervised . I thought it was tenderly filmed

Pru & Danny road trip , not my cup of tea
I don’t want to think about my mortality before I have to.

I haven’t watched this programme but I just did a quick Google to see what it is about.

It did surprise me to learn that it was not about someone with a harrowing terminal illness who was taking the journey to another country for assisted dying and being supported by their partner - that’s what it sounds like it would be about.

It did surprise me it was about the difference of opinion between Prue Leith (the Bake Off Judge) and her son (I didn’t know her son was a Tory MP, either)

It didn’t surprise me that it was Prue who was in favour of assisted dying (which is not the same as euthanasia, by the way) and her son who wasn’t - in my experience, the older folk get and the more they see beloved family members and friends suffering painful, distressing, debilitating and terminal illnesses for too long, the more likely it is to sway their opinion towards the benefits of assisted dying.

I won’t be watching the programme because it is a depressing topic - I’m sure it’s worth airing to those who have never given it any thought but, if you’ll excuse the pun, I’ve already done the “assisted dying debate” to death.
I immersed myself in it ten years ago, during the time that Lord Falconer tried to get his Assisted Dying Bill through Parliament.
After doing a lot of research and soul-searching then, I was firmly behind Lord Falconer’s Bill and was gutted when the General Election came along in 2015 and cancelled all Bills in progress.
None of the subsequent Bills for Assisted Dying have succeeded but I’m still of the same opinion and hope it will eventually get through Parliament.

A pertinent quote I saw said by Prue when discussing her son’s strongly held beliefs against assisted dying -
“I’m not asking him to do it, I’m just asking him to let me do it.”

1 Like