Private Cataract Surgery

I am after some advice on having cataract surgery. I have been diagnosed with cataracts to the left eye caused by long term steroid use. I am aware that there is a long waiting list for this to be carried out by the NHS, so I am looking to go private.
Has anyone had cataract treatment privately or NHS who can advise or pass down some tips?

I am in a similar situation but don’t need surgery yet, most of my friends have had it done privately, only takes 15 minutes or so and costs a few thousand bucks, Well worth paying to get it done straight away when you need it.

(I’d be tempted to ask if they give a discount for cash :wink: )

1 Like

:grinning: cheers Bruce, it seems quite expensive, I have been seeing prices ranging from £2.5 k up to £4k…

@Vlad , l egree with Bruce, lf uou have private insurance you will be ripped
off, if you say you are paying yourself the price can drop by 50% in my
case, but that was in SA, In uk the principle will be the same, allthough
the discount may vary !!
As Bruce says, the op only takes fifteen minutes, but the preperation
can take an hour depending on how many they are doing that day ?
Good luck !
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

1 Like

Many thanks for that DM I will be funding the procedure myself so that info was very helpful, cheers✅

1 Like

Hiya Vlad.

Have you heard of these people? They have a place in Bedford, but they have other places round the country too. There seem to be several around your area, if you look at their website ‘Locations’ map.
They only do cataracts, and a friend of mine had their’s done there, and was impressed.
You could have a look, and perhaps enquire about the waiting list before you start spending your hard earned dosh? :smiley:

1 Like

My elderly mum had cataract surgery recently on the NHS. She didn’t have to wait too long. There’s a lot of aftercare in the NHS. Not sure about private long term aftercare.

1 Like

I have had cataract surgery on both eyes, Vlad, done by the NHS and am very pleased with the results. The surgery was painless, stress free, and fascinating. As Annie said - lots of after care.

1 Like

Many thanks for that Mups I will certainly have a look at your link.

Thanks Annie I will have a look at waiting times for the NHS in my area but overall they seem quite long, but thanks for that.

1 Like

Yes, have a read Vlad. They only do eye surgery, so you shouldn’t have to wait for a normal hospital that has thousands of other jobs to do, too.

1 Like

Thanks ST, that’s good to know, I have a low pain threshold…if someone frowns at me I go into meltdown :grinning:

1 Like

Spa Medica (Wakefield) is where I had my cataract done. They picked a few of us from different parts of Huddersfield, then got us booked in and settled. A nurse came round and put drops in my eye to contract the pupil, then a while later, put some anaesthetic drops in. After around half an hour/forty minutes, I was taken into the operation room, laid on an examination table, and more anaesthetic dropped in, and my other eye covered up. All that I could see was a bright light as they removed the old lens and put in the new. The new lens is decided beforehand, depending on whether you want long, or short range - long range for driving, short range for reading and suchlike. I chose long range and need to use reading glasses for close-up work.

The results are outstanding, everything clear as day again, albeit with a slight blue tinge due to the plastic lens. The treatment was exemplary and highly professional, with no pain whatsoever.

When completed, I was dropped off at home again. I was given two bottles of drops, one to keep the eye flushed, and another as an antiseptic. Had to use both twice a day for five days.

1 Like

Thanks for that Judd, did you require new glasses for reading?

I probably will do. Because of my cataract, my existing glasses have two different lenses of different strengths fitted - I still use those along with a pair of cheapies bought from Matalan :). No doubt, Specsavers will be in touch shortly to flog me some more. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cheers Judd, I am trying to get an appointment for a referral from my GP that make take some time too :smiley:

Hi Vlad I had cataract ops on both my eyes approx 6wks apart during the first lockdown. My eyesight had crashed leaving me in a fog ! My doctor was marvellous and got me a early appointment as I was fast losing my independence.
I decided to go with the NHS and I’m glad I did …after the first operation I couldn’t see in that eye , it was very frightening , indeed l needed 2 further weeks of appointments , I’d hate to think the cost involved if I’d gone down the private route.

I now have perfect vision.

1 Like

Hi Ripple, thanks for the info and I am glad that you are now seeing everything ok, reading your response and others above I am going to look at the NHS options first, and based on that I will make a decision on which route to take, so once again thanks for that.

Vlad, My sister is going to have her’s done on August 21st and, as we had no idea if she would need help on the first few days, she is coming to stay with me.
If it will help I will put a note on here to tell you how she is feeling and if she has any problems.

1 Like

Have you delved to find out how long the NHS waiting list for cataracts is in your area?
It was about 3-4 months in my region 5yrs ago and not much longer now.
My NHS op was without hitch for the 1st eye and then 9 wks later my 2nd eye was done. I was bricking it before it all happened, but I was amazed at how unwarranted my worry was … it was worry over very little and I would not hesitate again if needed.
During the 1st night with the 1st eye, I found the clear eye patch SO irritating, I took it off and slept like a log. For the 2nd eye I took the patch off before going to bed and never looked back. The worst part was waiting until a final check before being signed off to get new glasses and now my lenses are unbelievably thin, I can manage without glasses if I have to. I still need glasses because both my eyes are highly astigmatic and no replacement lens for cataracts can correct that defect completely.

2 Likes