Prisoners refusing to leave their cells for sentencing

It always amazes me that prisoners are actually allowed to refuse to leave their cells for sentencing. I heard it again today for the vile person who murdered a lovely young woman in London.

How have things come to this? They should be dragged out of their cells not given a choice. it really made me angry tonight hearing that.

3 Likes

A simple solution would be to add on a mandatory decade of incarceration, which would run as soon as any parole release date was given.

2 Likes

This was a lifer who was given life.

delete. Error in fact.

I think he will be imprisioned for life in this instance.

We won’t be here to confirm that, obviously.

1 Like

Hopefully neither will he.

Incarceration probably works on a minute by minute basis, maybe.

1 Like

Incineration certainly would.

That is a different matter.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that when a judge passes a life sentence, they must specify the minimum term an offender must spend in prison before becoming eligible to apply for parole (unless they are given a whole life order)

As I understand the rules for life sentences for murder, when the Judge specifies a minimum term - in this case 38 years - it means the murderer will stay in prison for at least 38 years and will not not be considered for parole until he has served that minimum term in prison.

I think the Government were considering a proposal to consider a prisoner’s refusal to leave cell to attend court as an “aggravating factor” (which increases a sentence) when the Judge is applying the sentencing guidelines to calculate the appropriate sentence.
I remember it being reported as being under consideration earlier this year but I do not know what the outcome was.

2 Likes

Deepest apologies. Since my earlier post, I’ve read the sentence in greater detail and stand corrected.

1 Like

I wasn’t commenting on his sentence but the fact that prisoners can REFUSE to leave their cells to hear their sentence. How can they be in any position to tell prison staff what they will and won’t do?

Because for the sake of civil order, law makers and enforcers are obliged to adhere to a set of rules, crims ain’t, there is a danger if one ignores the rules, one could inadvertently become a crim?

They should be dragged out if necessary.

You volunteering Muds?

Why something wrong with the police officers that we pay for through our taxes ?

I knocked about with a lad whose first job was a Police Officer, knowing his actions and thought pattern previous to enlisting, I just hoped he was not representative.