Printers and computer link

Having now gone onto fibre optic service everything went over having put in the new router password. OOPs forgot to do the same with the printer, and then I hit an issue with the IP for the printer ,kept saying it was in use.
No point in mucking about trying to find how to sort this out, so for me I just wiped out the printer completly off the computer and did a reinstall. going through the setup i would have come across the same thing but luckily there was an automatic tab which sorted out the right IP address and completed the connection back to how it was.
So glad I also kept the original printer disc save a lot of time and hassle. Just something to be aware of if it happens to you if you swap to fibre or a new router

Personally I use fixed IP addresses for certain pieces of equipment including the routers, printer, NASs, PVR etc

To ensure that the router doesn’t give their addresses to anything else it is pretty simple to set their addresses outside the range of those allocated by the router.

LAN IP adreeses are usually in the form xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx The first three sets of digits are common to all equipment on the LAN eg 192.168.001 the final set is that allocated to you equipment.

I set all the fixed IP addresses in the range 000 to 099 and allow the router to allocate addresses 100 to 255. eg one of my NAS has the address 192.168.001.098, my printer is 192.168.001.096 (note you can leave out the leading zeros)

Just noticed I restricted the DHCP range to 100 to 199 I must have decided it was unlikely that I would have more than 100 devices connecting to my LAN.

I actually have two routers to give good WiFi coverage throughout the house but it is important that only one device hands out addresses so the DCHP is disabled in the second device (it also has a fixed IP address)

LAN = Local Area Network
DCHP = Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol

Another common LAN address is 10.10.1.xxx

You can find yours by:

Settings>Network and Internet>WiFi>Properties

or

Settings>Network and Internet>Ethernet>Properties

There you go…

And what about a complete
change of service from cable to fibre optic and a new route?

It doesn’t really matter whether it is a piece of wet string, copper or fibre the principle is the same. Mine is fibre and it changed from an ADSL modem/router to a WAN router (because the fibre has its own modem) but all the router part and the LAN is exactly the same.

All I did was enter the addresses in the new router the rest remained the same. When I changed router, from memory, the default setting was 10.xx.0.1 to 255 but I was set up for 192.168.1.xxx. so I just changed it. Neither IP address sequences are used on the Internet

I think those using the 192.168 addresses as default tend to use 192.168.0.xxx, I can’t remember why I changed to 192.168.1.xxx but you could use 192.168.123.xxx for all it matters as long as everything on the LAN uses the same numbers

You might find this informative:

https://routersecurity.org/ipaddresses.php

If I do a IP address search on the Internet my actual address is something like 220.233.200.256 (it is not but I have a fixed IP and I am not giving that out) but the router copes with translating the incoming data from the WAN to the address on the LAN. It is magic!

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

You might find this interesting, this is a list of everything connected to my LAN this morning.

At the top is the gateway router 192.168.1.1 which distributes IP addresses and communicates with the Fibre modem (WAN).

Next is the repeater router at the back of the house 192.168.1.7.

Then the printer again a fixed address 192.168.1.91

These are followed by my three NASs each with a fixed IP (96 to 98)

Then this laptop which has a DCHP address 192.168.1.100 (see previous post)

Finally my mobile phone 192.168.1.104 - also a DCHP acquired address.

Missing from that list is are my TVs, PVR, desktop computer, download computer, spare laptop, netbook none of which are turned on at this time of the morning.

That is fascinating Bruce absolutely fascinating , does anyone know what he is talking about
because I don’t. : :100:

Ignorance is never an excuse.