Prime Minister Rishi Sunak makes five promises on UK economy, health and immigration in keynote speech

Speaking in Stratford, the PM laid out his priorities for 2023 and asked the public to judge his premiership on five promises.

These pledges are:

• to halve inflation

• to grow the economy

• to reduce debt

• to cut hospital waiting lists

• to stop migrant crossings

Mr Sunak promised to work “night and day” to deliver on the above five challenges during this parliament and to create “a future that restores optimism, hope and pride in Britain”.

Mr Sunak’s speech comes as the UK is facing a wave of strikes, a cost of living crisis and huge pressures on the NHS.

The PM said his government is “taking urgent action” to increase hospital bed capacity by 7,000, adding: “And the NHS is working urgently on future plans for A&E and ambulances.”

On the continuing industrial action, Mr Sunak called for a “reasonable dialogue” with the unions and promised an update on the government’s next steps.

Yesterday, the PM’s new mission to combat high rates of innumeracy in England was unveiled through a pledge to ensure all pupils in the country study some form of the subject until the age of 18.

Fine words butter no parsnips … :man_shrugging:

His taking urgent action means they’re looking at ways to privatise the nhs, they’ve had twelve years in power, but suddenly it’s a priority

1 Like

I will take all Rishi Said with a pinch of salt .

1 Like

The one thing that Rishi does not do is rushy like all politicians all mouth and no trousers

Hi

Rishi is having a try at freeing up hospital beds.

I am in hospital again at the moment and am taking part in a trial of one idea on how to stop bed blocking and ease the pressure on A&E

Early days but well thought out and seems to be working so far.

It is part of his working smarter not harder system for the NHS, doing more at the same time.

He has obviously been thinking about this for a while.

1 Like

Keir Starmer makes his speech tomorrow. Labour leader will talk about a ‘different way of governing’. Really! Suspect his plans will not amount to much, both window dressing.

It’s one of the bills in the NHS health and care act. They are meant to be discharging patients without the obligation on social services to have a package in place. So in theory that should cut bureaucracy and speed up discharge, but it does leave a problem in the community with vulnerable people possibly waiting months for a package of care.

Forgot to add that it is not something Rishi has been working on as it was already planned. Very easy for hospitals to implement existing legislation. But under “integrated care” the hospitals, GPs, social services and NHS “systems” are meant to be working together to ensure that patients are looked after in the community. So hospitals are under more pressure to “manage” rather than focus on their core services. I wonder how much money is being used up by hospitals to implement this new model instead of being directed to where they are needed by services. e.g. nurses, equipment, supplies etc.

I do wish labour would find a decent leader that isn’t so annoying. We do need a decent opposition, but I don’t have much confidence in Keir. It seems that all sensible people do not want to go for the leadership position because governing the country is in the too difficult box for all but the most power-hungry.

1 Like

They’ll do nothing about illegals entering the UK, because every party, from the late 1990s onward, aimed to “immigrate” their voters! In exchange for staying here, all they have to do is vote Conservative, if the Conservatives are in power - or, vote Labour, if the Labour Party is in power. This scandalous illegal immigrants tactic has no end, except more illegal UK-haters being put in hotels, after the guests in the rooms, there, are told to vacate those hotels - more than 430 hotels, so far!

Are you sure about that Ian? Enforcing it must be tricky. :neutral_face:

Indeed, because of the impossible backlog, those already here are just being allowed to stay. With access to everything the rest of us have to wait for.

The 5 pledges
I don’t how RS will solve the first 3 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Hi

Not sure we are talking about the same thing here Annie.

This is completely new, a small ward, with 10 frequently admitted patients being managed very differently to the normal uncoordinated methods.

All the patients on here are very happy with the system so far,it is a great improvement on what happened before.

It means that you are not discharged without a coordinated timed plan to speed up what is needed for the patients.

1 Like

Positive feedback for them, positive for your well-being.

1 Like

Its unlikeliness is precisely how the government aimed to get away with it, but…some elephants in the room eventually have to be seen. You’re not being allowed to see most of what is going on. It’s bizarre, actually, that the government controlled BBC even gave out this information.

“Around 37,000 asylum seekers are in hotels across the UK, according to the Home Office.”

Thanks

But you said illegal immigrants are encouraged and will stay if they vote for whichever party they are told to vote for. Or did I misunderstand you?

It didn’t start recently, with the Tories. It started with Labour, last power around. They were importing their voters in the form of illegal immigrants, and were also working on bringing about the acceleration of legalisation of their presences, here. They also started talks on allowing those same immigrants the vote if they had been British citizens for only 6 months. The Tories, I suspect, are attempting the same thing. They, too, talk big on reducing/eliminating the illegals, in numbers, and them being allowed to remain, here, while continuing to let them in.

It was roughly around this time that Labour did everything they could to encourage people to come to Britain.

You’re right I misunderstood - my apologies. It’s great that the hospital you are in has adopted a model that makes things better for patients. I hope it’s rolled out nationwide. But not sure Rishi deserves the credit.