Price difference on camera batteries

Panasoncic HC-X1500 camcorder battery rip off

Panasonic AG-VBR59E 5900mAh 7.28V Battery about £200 for a genuine battery for my camcorder
Just bought another 3rd party VW VBD58/AG-VBR59 5200mAh 7,4V for £25 DELIVERED

Can someone explain why the extra 700mAh should cost £175 more. It totally beats me

lot cheaper to buy several more Duropror than panasonict

Probably due to the material used to form the anode of the internal batteries. I’ve never worked with Li-ion batteries other than sticking them in domestic things but having read about them when they first hit the streets out of pure curiosity I believe that two different materials are used, one being a form of carbon called “coke” and the other a sintered form of graphite. The real reason for the price variation is probably a decision on costing by product manufacturers (but then I’m a cynical old sod!)

ETA - The bit about using the correct charger is quite possibly correct.

Personally I would pay no attention to it!

Do you know that the cheaper battery has the capacity as claimed? That is often the difference with cheap batteries.

Bruce you may well be correct, the third party batteries are just for backup for the Panasonic one that came wsith the camcorder. But I do get your point which is why I have 4 backups just incase I can’t charge them up quickly enough on our upcoming cruise. Nothing worse than having a camera/camcorder with a flat battery. Not only that but also taking my panasonic compact mainly for stills and does video which also has 2 backup batteries, so i think I have that problem covered

This reminds me of that story I told before in the cafe about the guy and Nikon

The good thing about the Panasonic compact is that is is USB charged so you can do it anywhere, I even have a couple of power banks just in case.

Actually I have only ever had one camera that used to run our of battery in a day, a small waterproofed Olympus. All my other cameras the Canon G16 and my Panasonic LX10 and TZ110 have a single spare battery each but I have never had to use it.

I’ve got a couple of third party batteries for my Canon plus the original: they all do the same thing, last approx the same time. Except when using the cheaper ones I occasionally get a warning …

Who’d have thought it would be intelligent enough to recognise the difference and to have the built in wordage. Without touching the OK word - that would be like admitting my disloyalty to Canon - I look over shoulder and discreetly turn camera off then on again.

Anyway my batteries are not counterfeit they don’t pretend to be what they are not.