Prepayment meter charges are to change from 1/7/23

From 1st of July, every prepayment meter customer will be paying the same as everyone else including those who pay by direct debit. About time too by my reckoning, BUT, why wait until July?
Prepayment meter customers won’t pay more than those on direct debits from July, the Chancellor says (moneysavingexpert.com)

1 Like

TBH I never realised they did anyway … sounds scandalous.

1 Like

The supply companies have got away with it for far too long and this action is way overdue.

2 Likes

I do remember the energy companies altering settings on a Smart meter to force people onto pre-payment.
That’s pretty despicable and underhand too.
I’ve only recently discovered that a defunct 1st generation Smart meter can be remotely reactivated to send info.

2 Likes

About time too!

2 Likes

Good, that really is long overdue

But why make them continue to struggle during the colder months and only start it in the summer?

Me thinks they should get a rebate

People often get forced to have a pre-paid metre if they haven’t been able to pay their bills and are the poorest of us

So terrible to make them pay more for their power than anyone else

And the energy companies are guaranteed their payment with pre paid meters, so better for them and where’s the justification?

3 Likes

Can always bet on this type of action from the mob, when a General election is coming around. Too little too late this time. Hunt.

3 Likes

Oh yes, it’s voter bait and “look, we’re on the side of you peasants really”

If they’d really cared they’d have done it at the beginning of the energy crisis or before.

3 Likes

Indeed, better if they had not allowed it to happen in the first place.

2 Likes

@Morticia plain daylight robbery.

2 Likes

They should do away with the standing charge too imo.

2 Likes

If they did that, they’d only increase the unit charge to compensate. Heads they win and tails we loose :wink:

Yes they should … at about 15 quid a month which might not sound a lot but as they keep telling us ewhat to switch off to save money … it’s seems a tad hypocritical.

I’m sure I can remember years back … and I do mean decades here … they used to charge different rates based on the amount of electric you used. The more you used. The more, per unit, you paid.
I don’t mean like Economy 7 .

Yes, that was before the days of the weekly standing charge. So much for say the 1st 100 units and then a lower charge for the rest of that quarter. The difference was quite substantial for the higher rate.

I thought it was … but wasn’t sure, or even which way around it was.
I wonder why they don’t just bring that system back.Those who can afford to pay a higher rate and choose to use more elctricity can … but for those trying to save a bob or two the lower consumption is reflected in a very modest bill.

1 Like