Premium Bonds - Are they a good investment?

I bought one or two when they started in 1956 and a couple more in the sixties. I have never won a bean, nothing, zilch.

Come to think of it I have not got a clue where they are but from memory they were the smallest ones you could buy.
I think I changed my location on them a few times but who knows.
Maybe sitting on a fortune, on the other hand the former Mrs H might have claimed them and done a runner with ernie.
Hmmmmmmm

Just checked the website and I’ve won £25 this month. Never seem to win any more though even though I’ve got £10,000 :frowning: With interest rates so low though its worth the chance as I get a few £25 wins throughout the year.

Ernie has smiled on me this month as well … two £25 wins.:slight_smile:

I have accumulated a £1000 of premium bonds over the years.
Had three £25 wins in that time.
I don’t know if there is any truth in the claim that you are more likely to win with a newly bought bond than an old one.
It’s also said they all get put in the draw.
It may be just a coincidence but my three wins were with new bonds:!:
Would we have a better chance in the draw if we sold the old bonds and replaced with new ones.
Haven’t bought any for years I wonder if that is why I haven’t had any luck with mine for years:-(

Ernie picks random numbers which are then matched against the bonds so its the luck of the draw and anyone can win. Makes no difference whether your bonds are new or old.

Yep just jesting really;-)
There are that many bonds I believe they use a few Ernies.
Still keeping my fingers crossed:-)

I understand what you’re saying, Reuben, as I think the same!:lol: The very first Premium Bonds went on sale 1st November 1956. I was fortunate to be able to acquire seventy-eight £1 bonds during the late 50/60s… not one of those £1 bonds have ever won! I’ve often said to my husband that I think they have been jammed in Ernie’s works!:twisted: Over the years we have had several wins of £25 and £50 … and two of £100 but nothing bigger than that and they have all been from the 80’s to present day:confused:

I have quite a few PBs the first ones purchased over 40 years ago.
Over the years I have had a number of wins never more than £50 and latterly when the prize money was reduced £25 only.

I used to think my wins were the equivalent of interest but I haven’t had a win for ages so think I am out of pocket.

On year in the same week as my birthday I received 2 £25 in the same post :slight_smile:

A cheque for my last premium bond win arrived in the post on Friday 13th.
Lucky for some.:slight_smile:

We’ve had them from the beginning not received a penny yet, I keep saying I’ll cash them and buy new ones in the hope they will do better…well they couldn’t be any worse than the ones we have.

Ive had mine for over 40 years Mags and have never won anything at all fgs.I also think all of mine have been stuck somewhere…where is the question:cry::wink:

I keep saying that Gabi but still haven’t sorted it.:blush:

I think our bonds must be stuck together, Bonny!:lol:

Same here, not a penny piece, not even a ha’penny, for almost 40 years. Swizz!

Maybe better off cashing the lot in and buying some Irish Lottery Tickets as seems you have more chance on that one.Its ok… now ive been reminded of the flipping thing’s I start going into one about them lol!!

I have some, ive not done too bad from them average winnings are better than the bank interest, 5 up this month all for £25.

I had some bought for me when I was at school. I’ve had them around 40 years and not won a bean on either of them. :slight_smile:

That’s lovely, Kathleen - nothing for me this month :frowning:
The most I’ve won in one month is two £25

I have been pretty lucky.

Me too :slight_smile: well done Kathleen…