Post Office investigator 'can't recall' training on Horizon IT system

Continuing the discussion from The worst injustice a despicable crime:

I have not been following this appalling miscarriage of justice and the ongoing investigation in detail so it would be inappropriate for me to make a general comment in the source thread but this coverage of the investigation caught my eye:

'Nobody thought he could take that money': Post Office victim's widow - BBC News.

Robert Daily, former Post Office investigator, explains his career history. Daily confirms for the inquiry that he has been employed by the Post Office since 1979, starting as a counter clerk. He held various roles, including positions in the remittance unit, cash management and distribution, up until 1997.

Daily then joined the security team in the Post Office. He went on to hold temporary roles as investigation manager until this position was made permanent in 2005. In 2011, his role changed to security investigation manager, and his current role is that of security manager.

During the discussion of his past employment history, Robert Daily admits that he erroneously included his wife’s educational achievements intend of his own on his CV when applying for a position in 2008.

Daily is now being asked about the training he has received. He admits that he did not have any experience in criminal investigations in England, Wales or Scotland before he took up a role as a temporary investigator in 2000.

Daily’s witness statement shows that he received four to five weeks of training in 2005 by Royal Mail-accredited trainers, which covered the Police and Criminal Evidence Act, the Theft Act, and others. He says that this training focused on investigations in England and Wales.

Daily is asked if he was given training on the Horizon IT system while working as a permanent investigator in 2005. He says he can’t recall any. However, he says that when he was in a temporary role in 2000, he went to a hotel in Glasgow for a day to look at a system, but he can’t remember what it was called.

He’s asked if he ever received any training on the analysis of the data from the Horizon system. “No,” Daily responds.

Daily has just been asked about his training in Scotland, where he joined the investigations team in 2005. He received some training on Scots law, which included attending investigations as a second officer.

“Was this, in essence, on-the-job training?,” asks inquiry counsel Price. “Yes,” replies Daily.

After a long pause, he admits he “honestly can’t recall” how long the training lasted. He adds that he did a few interviews as a second officer, before he was “thrown in the deep end” as first officer.

Daily is asked about his relationship with the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS) in Scotland. He says that he was asked by them about the specific dates when money had been allegedly stolen or gone missing, but adds that he cannot recall any other inquiries they may have asked him to conduct.

Similarly, Daily says he cannot recall if they asked him to get audit data from Fujitsu - the company that created the Horizon software.

“Were you ever asked about the reliability of data from Horizon in any cases submitted to the COPFS?”, asks the inquiry counsel. “I can’t recall,” Daily replies.

Daily is being asked about audit data, known technically as ARQ data (Audit Record Queries). The inquiry lawyer asks if Daily ever requested this data after a Post Office employee suggested that Horizon was responsible for any shortfall? "I don’t recall," replies Daily.

Untrained, inexperienced and with poor memory … :roll_eyes:

How on earth did he get the job let alone keep it … :017:

1 Like

I’d like to see this idiot questioned (or his managers questioned) on this incentive and bonus scheme. What results and measures was he rewarded on? I dread to think.

If this was not so momentous a failure, you would be convulsed with laughter.

1 Like