Portrait of the Cambridges

Just looking at the latest portrait of the Cambridges.
And although its in many ways beautifully executed its not IMO quite .
Firstly he hasn’t quite got a likeness of Kate - just missed it .
Secondly he has put a hard edge around William that makes him look like a cut out figure.
( the hard edge is where the background meets the subject )
The artist is a great painter but this one hasn’t quite worked .

1 Like

You have looked at it with an artists eye Muddy…I would never have noticed those points but now you’ve pointed them out I see what you mean…still a good painting even though :slight_smile:

Isn’t there already a thread about this?

There’s another thread on this

Not going to attempt to merge them cos A) I don’t know how, and B) don’t do that sort of stuff,

but thought @Muddy might want to look at the views and opions expressed there.

Can’t have enough threads about the royals.

Heavens that just earned me a badge, I believe 10 over 50 badges is equal to a bronze Blue Peter badge and entitles the wearer to free admission to the museum of the unnecessary.

1 Like

If you get enough badges you get a knighthood

1 Like

I agree with your appraisal. Also I would not have portrayed him casually with one hand in his pocket. I reckon I would have that hand cupping hers as it has been obvious for many years they are totally into each other. That comes through in this painting so why not enforce the hidden message … I definitely would.

Oh bother .
I didn’t see that other thread and I looked for one too .
So much for the all powerful ‘tags’

1 Like

Sorry Cinderella I didn’t see your thread and the bot didn’t bring it up either .

No worries, just wondered Muddy would you accept a commission to paint them?
Maybe the artist is given some artistic licence, the background represents the colour of stonework.

Hard to make silk purses out of sows ears! And he does have a face like a tic-tac. She just looks like a Liverpool bar maid so all in all quite a good reproduction.

I don’t like this at all. The artist has made William look like a young Geoffrey Palmer (actor from Butterflies and As Time Goes By).

Whoever or however an artist depicts royalty has to be aware that it is unlikely everyone will approve. The duke and duchess both studied history of art at St Andrews University, and the comment from William; “It’s quite big.” “Amazing”.

Her ankle is out of proportion. It looks like someone else’s leg.

Yes I would but I am an untrained self taught artist and the artist who has painted this is very well trained and has great technical knowledge as well as talent and he’s very good it just this one isn’t his best work .
At least it’s better than that awful one of Kate in the portrait gallery that makes her look old and sinister.image
The fact is she has a difficult face in repose and always looks better smiling but teeth are difficult in portraits .The new painting has portrayed her as a beautiful woman it’s just not quite her.

1 Like

Art is like handwriting unique to individuals different personality traits. I appreciate yours views Muddy, :slightly_smiling_face: and agree.

1 Like