Portable heaters - recommendations

Hi I am researching ways to beat the fuel hikes and one way is to use either portable hallogen or ceramic heaters in rooms that are being used and only switch the main heating on when it’s under 16 degrees in the house. This is combined with getting door curtains and possibly installing dividing bifold doors in one of the bigger bedrooms which would both add value to the house and create an additional secondary glazing/insulation effect.

But I wanted to know whether anyone has had luck with fuel efficient portable heaters. I’ve been looking at reviews of various hallogen heaters and they are a bit mixed. The one below sold at Dunelm has some excellent ratings but then I read one showing that the back of the heater had melted :frowning:

I’ve also read that ceramic heaters are safe and low cost to run but cannot find any reviews and I don’t want to invest unless it’s worthwhile.

I know we had a heating thread recently but this one is just about these particular types of heater. So if anyone has any experience using this type of technology please do share.

1 Like

are there any young children in the house?

Good thread … I’d be interested to have some input of the various portable heaters too as storage heaters are crap , so this winter they are staying off.

Not living here, but there may be some family visiting in the next few months. There are pets so I am a bit worried about that. Particularly the dog.

1 Like

then choose one that has an auto off switch underneath in case it is knocked over.

1 Like

Never heard of them how do they work ?

1 Like

Well lm investigating small paraffin oil heaters as we had a couple after
WW2, they kept the house warm and were cheap to run, on the downside
they smelt a bit at first, but as cleaner paraffin became available they
were ok!!
You can get quite large ones that stand about 600mm high and sre easily
moved to wherenyou want them.
There are also smaller ones for use in a greenhouse which can be placed
on a table or shelf, these can burn for about 40 hrs on 1 litre of paraffin !
And only cost about £20! These are the ones l am looking at !
When needs must eh ?
:+1::+1:

Let us know how that goes DM.

I use a fan heater to heat my rooms. I have a couple one is an old fashioned one with a wire element rated at 2400W (he highest you can use in Australian power point). This is the one I use most of the time usually on half power.

The other one is a more modern one of only 1500W and uses one of those heating units that I forget the name of. It also has a safety switch which turns it off if it is knocked over and a variable thermostat. The older one just has a bimetal switch type overheating protection. To be honest the tipping switch is a damn nuisance as it needs a flat surface to operate on.

The first one is my favourite though, as I say, I usually have it on half power because on full power if I turn on a kettle on the same circuit it trips the 16amp breaker - anyway half power is more than enough to heat a room in a short time.

I prefer fan heaters to radiant heaters because they spread the heat about better, radiant heaters are too directional for my liking.

1 Like

I thought fan heaters gobbled up electricity?

It is like any appliance, a 2000watt fan heater uses exactly the same power as a 2000watt radiant heater or a 2000watt oil filled heater.

1 Like

I just remembered the type of heating element in the smaller heater, it is called a ceramic heater

It is similar to the one in the picture.

You actually gave it away in your original post @AnnieS

1 Like

@AnnieS , l shallnAnnie, The chancellor of my exchequer is on the way to
to disconnect my bank account from my energy company, yhis is the first
phase of my survive the energy crisis campaign !
The next phase is locate and procure a parrafin heater and adequate fuel ,
( I dont want to wait till parrafin prices surge due to demand!)
I hope to complete this phase by next week sometime !!
I will leave the survival suits for now to see if the winter is likely to be cold
or not, you never know we may have a heatwave ?? :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like