Plusnet or NOW for internet and phone

My present ISP and phone provider has just recently changed from The Post Office to Shell Energy and old T&C’s have changed with the move without my agreement. I now feel the need to change to somewhere new and from a search I’ve found both Plusnet and NOW can provide better speed for less cost then Shell.
Has anyone any experience of either Plusnet or Shell and if so would you recommend either?

I have been with Plusnet for years, they have kept my monthly fee the same, obviously had to phone them and ask for that.

My son wasn’t happy with them, he changed …I can’t remember why,I’ll ask him when he rings and let you know LD…I’ll let you know who he’s with as well…he likes the cheapest deal and fastness.

You will most likely get the same performance from both suppliers as they will be using the BT line for the service.

Go with the cheapest is what I would do. Also ask if you can have a broadband (IP) phone instead of a phone line - then you use the same broadband line for phone calls and internet instead of paying for a separate phone line. You won’t notice any difference in calls but you may need to pay a bit extra initially for the IP phone

I loath Plusnet - their customer service is beyond woeful. They promise you the earth yet fail to deliver. I couldn’t get shot of them fast enough. I prefer EE by a country mile.

I renewed my Plusnet contract last year . Its the same price, £22.99 per month, but they did warn me it will rise dramatically next month. I only use the broadband as landline calls cost more than using a mobile. The other problem was as soon as I started with them received numerous Phishing calls from a debt collectors.
I was with BT before that, too expensive, before that TalkTalk who I wouldn’t P on if they were on fire

I recently changed from TalkTalk to SSE for broadband. The new router has two ports for VoiP phones. My old phone did not work so I bought new dect phones. They still keep cutting out after a couple of minutes.

We use the IP phones which connect to a receiver that connects directly to a port on the back of the router.

We have the Yealink W53H and it works perfectly - you may need to change a frequency or something on the DECT phones if they are dropping out ?

A vote for Plusnet here. Been with them for years and rarely have a problem unlike those in my local Facebook group who have Virgin which is always going down.
I no longer use a landline phone but cannot really justify full fibre so still have to pay for a landline

1 Like

Gosh! I’ve just had my line and details checked by Now TV for my speed and the following was stated:-
60.5 to 74.2 download with a minimum of 55.1 guaranteed or you can leave without charge. Also the year’s contract price is £21 per month for 24/7 and includes anytime calls with line rental.
IF Now TV can get anywhere near their guaranteed speed for £21 per month, I’m interested. Shell are only giving me around 2Mb/s for £108 per quarter. . . bye bye Shell :wave:
Edited for a PS … there is a £5 p&p charge from Now for the router, but that’ll still leave me quids in :+1:

You were paying 36 pound a month for that speed, wow?

2 Likes

Yes, tis true and they were taking me for a mug, but not any more!!

I’m with PlusNet and have just renewed my contact with them. It’s gone up from £21.99 pm to £26.99 pm. on an 18-month contract. Download speed is an average 32Mbs, which isn’t as fast as my old VM service, but at least it’s more reliable and a damn sight cheaper. I had to have a new line installed by BT for £70 - well worth it.

1 Like

Plusnet tried to put mine up to £26+ but a quick phone call pointing out their latest offers which were cheaper to new sign ups soon got a reduction.

1 Like

I’m with BT as had many problems with plusnet ! However when it worked it was ok.
My Mobile is with Giffgaff £6 a month

1 Like

I’ve just left the Co-op to join 1p Mobile for £30 a year and so far it’s working as expected :ok_hand: Both are EE based so the swap was just changing sims :+1:

When I had fibre installed (FTTP - fibre to the property) by Sky just before Christmas, they sent me a new router FOC because I’m an existing customer (should have cost £90). Now we’ve got VoIP phone calls using our old Panasonic DECT cordless phones (no drop-outs or sound quality issues so far) and download speeds of 59Mb/s paid for (nearly 65Mb/s actual) to the router. Minimum guaranteed speed is 50Mb/s. Monthly cost is £38/month (including discounts I’ve negotiated previously) for Broadband Superfast and Talk Anytime Extra.

2 Likes

I’ve just looked at 1p Mobile … it looks good at £30 a year … but at 1p a minute I think I’d get through it quite quickly . But I’m tempted thanks for the info.

1 Like

So how long daily do you spend making calls on your mobile? Most of mine are incoming and the rest are of shortish duration. Long conversations I leave until I’m home then use my ‘anytime’ landline phone.

I have to say it’s a great deal in fact it’s perfect if you don’t make many calls .
I no longer use my landline for calls …having two sisters i tend to use the phone a lot . I’ll take onboard what you said and will keep record of outgoing use for the next couple of months. Thx for the info

removed - wrong thread