Plumbers and their ilk are so difficult to get hold off

How in the name of all that’s holy does one get a plumber these days ?
My usual plumber can’t take on any more work
I have tried all known contacts and Checkatrade .
What else can I do ?

( no rude answers please :grinning: )

Out of interest, what needs to be done?

Am not promoting another forum, as it’s not a general chat one, but you could sign up to something like DiyNot and ask your question on the plumbing section. I’ve secured an electrician and a plasterer in the past by doing this, using the quantity and quality of posts made by them as an indication of their experience (plus other people not bad mouthing their handiwork)

It’s not a job for amateurs
The shower leaked and damaged the floor so it’s a big job .
But not as big as trying to get hold of a plumber .

1 Like

Most of the contributors on DiyNot are professionals who are helping diyers with advice, which is sometimes to get a pro in anyway. Your decision, but it might be worth a punt.

1 Like

I will give it a roll Dex thank you .

I joined a website called Nextdoor , it’s very good for getting work done .
You ask a question like “help I need recommendations for a plumber” locals ( your near neighbours ) will reply with recommendations & phone numbers.

1 Like

Hi

Nextdoor, locally a great place to get someone for cash.

2 Likes

It’s also good for get rid of stuff for free or selling .

1 Like

All I keep getting are emails from it telling me about thefts and attempted break ins. Hard to imagine it I know, especially living at least 2 miles away from Moss Side.

1 Like

I agree. You even get to know who locally is honest and level-headed and would make sensible recommendations.

1 Like

I have used the ‘My Builder’ site a lot when I want a job doing.

You put your job up & they send it to all the plumbers on their books.
Then the plumbers contact you with estimated price etc & you take it from there…

I have an insurance policy with BG, I know I pay more in the long run, but, they are here very quickly and I’ve had plenty of plumbing work done here…they are a God send for me, who lives alone.

Hi

Yes, well, Moss Side, never posh enough to live there.

Worked in places like that, never fun, but at least I did not look like a member of a rival gang.

1 Like

@Muddy Muddy is the problem the pressure relief valve (water coming out of a little hole under the shower)

Mine went recently and as my shower was 11 years old I got around the plumbing issue by buying a new one from Triton and having their engineer fit it all done in a few days and very efficent.

I wish Meg unfortunately it’s a huge problem the shower has leaked behind the tiles and has seeped through and rotted the floor it’s needs a real professional to deal with it .

1 Like

Sounds worse than it is.

I wish .

Hi

The lack of tradespeople is a self inflicted wound, it is called Brexit.

It could just be the shower tray outlet that’s leaking causing the floor to rot and rising damp behind the tiles have a look and see if it needs silicone.
I say this as I had a similar problem, i virtually dismantled the U bend while cleaning , it cause terrible problems.

@Muddy , upstairs or downstairs room? How long has it been weeping? Days, weeks, months?