Please Can You Count Your Cat’s Whiskers?

Ruthio, Matilda is very pretty but l think she has more whiskers on the left hand side than the right!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Nemo has 14 whiskers of various lengths on each cheek and 7 above each eye.
Willow has fewer, quite short, whiskers and refused to let me count them - said she was too busy sleeping.

Birthday Boy

4 Likes

Felix had a fine set of whiskers. :smiley::smiley:
Count them at your leisure. :smiley::smiley:

4 Likes

5 Likes

All your cats are very pretty and should be on the front of chocolate boxes.

Alice, I loved your cat’s ‘whiskers’!

1 Like

Have any of you read any of Lilian Jackson Braun books

The cat who had 60 whiskers

They are delightful who dunnits, solved by a siamese cat.

3 Likes

The answer was… 30. I was shocked as whenever l draw a picture of a cat, l always draw 3 whiskers on each side!!

Oh well, l was only 24 whiskers out!!

Another question was, what is a group of kittens called?

Litter?

1 Like

Nope! Good try though!

Kindle?

1 Like

Yes! Mags, you are right!

I bet not a lot of people know that!

A Kindle of Kittens, A Clowder of Cats

1 Like

@Artangel
Art, I had a friend who owned a Cattery years ago, and she mentioned that some people used to book their cat in without informing them it was pregnant, then a short while after the cat gave birth - she called them a kindle! I told her I always called them a litter. :grinning:

1 Like

I think of it as a cuddle of kittens

2 Likes

I’ve always used the term “a litter of kittens” - I’ve never heard of a litter of kittens being called a kindle, either, though I guess it makes sense, as kindling means giving birth.
A lot of small furry mammals are called kits when they are born - I’ve always associated “kindle” with rabbits and hares.
I’ve often heard talk of rabbits “kindling” (giving birth) and producing “a kindle of kits”

1 Like

Art, I think Cat’s have about 12 on each side of their cheeks and about 6 on either side of their eye brows.

1 Like

While there can be some variation between cats, most have a total of 24 whiskers on their cheeks with 12 on each side. These whiskers are arranged into four rows of three whiskers each. Cats also have 6 to 8 whiskers above their eyes and another 6 to 8 whiskers on their front paws!

That’s a lot of whiskers :smiley::smiley:

2 Likes

I still can’t believe that l thought that cats only had 3 whiskers on each side of their face!
I must scrutiny cat’s faces fully in the future!

Art, I think that stems down to cartoon drawings and children drawings, if I did a drawing as a kid of a cat I would have just done 3 whiskers on each side.

1 Like