Platinum Pudding - Winner

Sounds good to me - will give it a try.

What a load of faff. It’s a trifle. A sponge cake to represent the awful sponging “monarchy” would be much more apposite.

Jeeze what a faff!!
Unless and until someone can come up with a plausible short cut/cheap and simple version, then it will remain in the households of those with plenty of time on their hands.
Big mistake to choose something so complicated ~ 11 eggs!!! You have to be joking!
The lad’s pancake one was smashing, I’d give that a try, you can buy packets of the things!
Look at the royal forerunners: Victoria Sponge, Coronation Chicken…dead simple :ok_hand:

I was a bit disappointed with all the contestants

It was supposed to be dish that would become a tradition, like Coronation Chicken, that everybody could make and keep making

Instead, all quite complicated recipes and how many families have one of those fancy Bundt tins?

The trifle does look lovely but by the time you’ve made the Swiss roll, made the amaretti biscuits, made the custard, made the jelly, made the coulis, made the chocolate bark, that’s a good 4 or 5 hours cooking there, how many people nowadays have time for that?

And the cost! ÂŁ43! I know that serves 20 but that a lot of dosh for a home made trifle :scream: Especially at a time when people are struggling

I worked out I could do a big cheating one for 8 people for about ÂŁ11.50

That’s using an M&S lemon Swiss roll, two Hartley Jellies, two tubs of M&S custard, lemon essence, two cans of mandarins, a packet of amaretti biscuits, a milky bar and some jelly beans because none of us like peel. Oh and I’ll probably add a splash of Amaretto to mine!

Not that I’m a lazy cook or anything……

Oh, and I see I’m not alone with the cheating!

Here’s The Sun’s version!

And Iceland have done one too!

Looks nice and easy!

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/platinum-jubilee-pudding-trifle-recipe-24001685.amp

https://www.iceland.co.uk/jubilee/jubilee-recipes/the-real-peoples-pudding

The original version looks sickly enough đź«Ł - the Iceland version looks like a car crash!:nauseated_face:

I like Amaretti biscuits and I like oranges but not mixed with Swiss roll, custard and cream - and I am mystified as to why Amaretti and Citrus fruits should be the main feature in a British Jubilee pudding. :thinking:

I expected the Jubilee pudding to at least contain fresh Summer fruits that are grown in Britain.

3 Likes

I’d have liked a more true Brit pudding too. :+1:

Something like an extra special bread and butter pudding, lardy cake or Yorkshire curd tart with an original twist.

Or something with Bramley apples, they’re true Brit

Family birthday yesterday and I threw together the cheaty Jubilee pudding :fish_cake:

I went down well but sooooi sweet, my pancreas is in over drive trying to produce enough insulin :rofl:

Salad all day for us today……

2 Likes

Looks amazing Maree! :yum:

2 Likes

Most of the Jubilee Puddings that I’ve seen look a total mess. Personally I believe something based on a Baumkuchen (well the family are German) would be much more appropriate. Tart it up a bit maybe but being multilayer the jubilee could be represented.

1 Like

It’s a trifle.

1 Like

Don’t trifle with me young man :point_left:

1 Like

I had to Googly Baumkuchen, it looks wow and Queenie likes her choccy woccy

All those layers reminded me of Russian honey cake, which is a pain to make but delish

The “patriots” would have freaked, though, if they’d chosen a “bloody foreigner cake” :rofl::rofl::rofl::+1: