Platinum Jubilee Cake- wowzers!

When there’s a big “do” on, Royal Weddings, the G7 in Cornwall, that sort of stuff, I like to see the food and try to make a home cooked version

But I don’t think I’ll be attempting this one!

https://www.advertiserandtimes.co.uk/news/christchurch-baker-creates-official-platinum-jubilee-cake-fo-9257203/

It’s a fruit cake with Royal icing which I can see will be great for cutting and giving to guests

The guy who got the commission to make it seems like a nice bloke, but it’s a bit OTT for me!

And is it quite straight?

Wow, that is something else! No, I don’t think I’ll be attempting to copy this one! I’m sure it is perfectly straight, Maree, the photography angle has probably distorted it somewhat.

I think the lines under the crown throw it off a bit so it looks cockeyed, I’m going to show this to mrs,p , I want an exact copy to have at teatime….

I think it is too busy, would look better without the silver walking stick things.

2 Likes

I think it’s a bit much too. I wonder if those walking sticks are edible? :rofl:

Ridiculous.

It makes me wonder if the top piece goes round and round like a carousel…it would be the only part lacking… so much for understatements.

1 Like

Oh, I don’t know, there could also be some sort of flashing light and and opening trapdoor in the top!

Subtle it’s not :rofl:

1 Like

It does have a touch of the leaning tower of Pisa about it, I agree. :lol:

1 Like

I suppose it’s retro, the queen’s wedding cake was ginormous!

Beautiful, Maree, and it had proper pillars between the tiers. I don’t like the modern (american ??) way of dumping each tier on top of the one below. Not at all attractive in my opinion.

Oh, Tabbs, it couldn’t possibly be designed to look American! Too frilly even for us!
Quite tacky, I agree.

1 Like

Wasn’t meaning to be insulting though, RightNow, just querying whether the modern look came from US. :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

1 Like

I took no offense at all, Tabbs. Seriously, we don’t do cakes so heavily decorated here. Unless you are at a Kardashian 'do. :grinning:

1 Like

It is a bit “busy” and OTT but I quite like it - a bit unique and quirky - but the event it is celebrating is unique - we’ve never had a Platinum Jubilee before and it won’t be repeated in our lifetime, so why not push the boat out a bit with some quirky fun things?
It has a bit of a “Mad Hatters Tea Party” look about it, which I rather like.

The chap who volunteered to design and bake it seems very proud of it. I guess he’s enjoyed the opportunity to showcase his talents to a wider audience than usual.
I’ll give him a :clap::+1:

You can’t really see it clearly but apparently it’s decorated with things that are important to the Queen “crests, corgis, horses, the Commonwealth flag, Union Jack, Westminster Abbey, flowers, and racing pigeons.”

A bit like when you make that Fortnite cake for a youngster

He was part of the team that made William and Kates wedding cake and the brief was to make a traditional cake. He had to keep submitting his designs so the Royal Household must have approved

Good luck to him, he seems like a good chap and is proud as punch

But I still think it’s ugly!

More info about how it was made here

https://www.mashed.com/881799/the-unexpected-link-between-the-queens-wedding-cake-and-her-platinum-jubilee-cake/?utm_campaign=clip

Me too - and I still don’t like tiers dumped on top of each other in that way - it is so inelegant and must make it difficult to cut. Done properly - with pillars in between - it is easy to lift each tier off to cut.

2 Likes

Less is more imo.

2 Likes

Yes, for a formal cake I think pillars are a good idea.

Look at this lovely cake, it could so easily have been adapted to include the Royal crests, corgis etc they wanted

I’ve got one of these acrylic cake stands you can put three cakes on. It works well for family do s (these aren’t my cakes!)

But I don’t want to diss the poor blokes cake too much. It was obviously a labour of love and he’s so happy to have been chosen

If Lizzie had to pay out of her own pocket at most it would have been a single Mr Kipling cupcake.

1 Like