Plate up or buffet style?

When you cook a meal, especially Christmas dinner, do you fill their plates yourself and serve it up, or let people serve themselves from dishes at the table?

I’ve always plated up. I know what everyone likes, we like it piping hot and I think my husband would cry or divorce me if I handed him a plate and told him to DIY

I always think it gets cold by the time everyone’s faffed around passing dishes
It’s a family meal, I’m not running a Harvester!

But I was just reading that a lot of people hate that and prefer to choose for themselves.

I suppose it might work if you had guests and don’t know what they like, but my guests just get a plateful, they don’t have to eat it!

This year I’m thinking of following the example of Stockport County Football club….

1 Like

I agree, it’s much better if the food is served plated up. Even when I’m all inclusive on holiday and the foods free I tend to get myself very small portions and go back again and again until I’m satisfied. I don’t get to eat much because by the time I’ve sat down to my second helping my brain gets the message I’ve already eaten and I don’t feel hungry. If the foods served plated up I eat more and enjoy every bit, even the things that I wouldn’t have picked if I was serving myself.
(I wouldn’t eat those sprouts though :weary:)

1 Like

I want mine plated, please … :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I like thigh, not breast or drumstick. And I’ll try a little of your stuffing. Lovely thanks, pass the roast potatoes, cranberry sauce and gravy. Can I start, please.

1 Like

Plate up big time…and afterwards?
That’s what cheese boards are for :cheese:

1 Like

I used to put the food in hot serving dishes in the middle of the dining table and the family helped themselves to what/how much they wanted,always worked well for us.
No waste either.

2 Likes

Our Christmas meal is usually cooked outdoors on the BBQ and though there are other things like prawns, potato bake, salad etc it is always buffet style.

With fresh bread rolls from the Vietnamese bakery, they always open Christmas morning.

1 Like

I don’t serve other people food. For my tastes, I would prefer buffet. I’m particular about what I eat. Other people wouldn’t be good at guessing what I want. Although I might feel bad about the waste, not bad enough to eat what I don’t want.

I can only remember one Christmas where I was served food on a plate at someone’s house. That was a waste.

1 Like