Plastic Bags go up to 10p

I and delighted with this .
I have been waging my own private war on plastic bags for the las 30+ years .

1 Like

Don’t see the need TBH I haven’t seen many people having their goods bagged in ages. Most have their own or buy the dearer option at the checkout as they are better bags. So already paying 10p or more.

Still if it makes them feel they are doing something I guess it’ll make them feel better about themselves.

Never use them - always take my own.

I’m sure that placing ten pence on a bag in the UK will solve the world’s pollution problems…And who benefits from from all those ten pences?

How many of the worlds problems do we hope to solve by throwing money at them…Very few I suspect…:frowning:

They aren’t just putting 10p on the bag charge, they are also widening the legislation to smaller shops.

Have we banned plastic beads yet? What about glitter - that still seems to be everywhere and causes all sorts of problems too.

omg dont put the price up for goodness sake — just take them out of the shops altogether - defeating the object I say
we dont need the orrible carriers at all ’ quite sure we can come up with something useful and degradable - ib this day and age !!:cry:

I used to like sainsburys paper bags, they were pretty strong too.

Doggy poo bags are biodegradable.

Charities of the retailers choice.

ÂŁ66 million was raised in 2026-17

Should have gone to spec savers.

Hi

Forget plastic bags, we need to stop micro beads.

Too late for that Swims they are all in the food chain .

Even if they charged £20 for a plastic bag, it wouldn’t solve the problem. They need to be banned completely.

Here and everywhere else for it to be effective.

I completely agree. It is pointless us lot here doing our bit when the rest of the World doesn’t.

Yes Longdogs, that’s what I meant to say…I bet us in the UK only add a small percentage to the problem…
They should be banned worldwide…

As long as it gets to the desired destination Muddy…:wink:

As others have said, charging for plastic bags or even banning them completely, is going to achieve nothing.

Look around. How often do you see things made of plastic? How many of those things do you think we could ban? How would we replace them?

The short answer is that plastics are very useful materials.

The solution to the eco-warriors’ problems is even easier: don’t throw plastic away! Many plastics can be recycled. Others can be burnt or melted and can even be used for energy generation.

Our local authorities, certainly mine, ask for plastics to be placed in the appropriate recycling bin. Admittedly many local councils, having asked us to sort our waste, just throw it all together and send it to landfill. :lol:

But that’s another problem!

So do I. I have 4 folding bags in little pouches in my back pack.

Yes, useful. But many/most plastics used to make things are more dense that water so won’t pollute the ocean surfaces or choke wild life.

That said, I don’t think we should discard them willy nilly. If they can be recycled, they ought to be.