Places of Interest

Hi, this thread is to ask, are there places you haven’t been but would want to? I’d like to see if there are common places of interest and if its the same group of people. I’m almost to an age to be able to travel more often.

Banff
Zion Park
Grand Canyon
Italy
Greece
Alaska

almost anywhere :smiley: hahaha.

Hope we have some common areas. Just maybe somewhere down the line a group meet.

I’ve never been interested in foreign holidays or travel; nothing wrong with it, I just don’t feel like doing that myself
However …

For years I was a keen hiker & backpacker, including The Lake District, Scottish Highlands etc, all year round
But now can no longer manage any serious walking, plus thanks to The Lockdown and a bit of illness I have a feeling that I’ve been cooped up for ages, so I’m doing something that I call ‘Looking at England’, with apologies to the Welsh & Co, but I only have so much time & energy.

Also I have diabetes, and I will be 74 soon which means that I have to have my driving licence reviewed every 3 years, so I’ll use it while I am still capable
And I have my bus pass

So I’ll be visiting castles, museums, villages, nice countryside, and towns & cities as well; blues & folk festivals, steam gatherings, re- enactment events, old pubs, old churches (even though I’m an atheist), battlefields.
I’ve never been to Cornwall, Berwick on Tweed, Glastonbury & the Somerset Levels, and many other places, and I’m sure I’ll think of others
Visiting old friends & family, or just sitting around somewhere different

There’s no shortage of places to see & do!

2 Likes

Further afield, Cajun country in The US , it always makes me think of the film Southern Comfort.

Costal Italy would be something special.
Closer to home I’m spoilt for choice, travelling round the UK by foot, bike and train would be superb!!!
It’s all about time and money of course :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Having been to the USA- Greece- Brazil-China- the Carribean- Italy- Germany-Sicily- Norway
Fareo isles- Iceland - Tunisia- Egypt -around the med.sea -Brittany to name but a few. Some mentioned been more than once

I would like to go to Australia that would be no 1 choice. Doing Portugal this year

1 Like

I have always fancied Alaska or Iceland for some reason.

1 Like

My BH would like to cruise Antarctica.I’m sure I would enjoy her 'photos when she got back.

2 Likes

Is the picture Caddo Lake? That is high on my list at the moment, it’ll be a drive.

England sounds very interesting.

Zuludog, a lot of good places with castles, museums, villages…etc :slight_smile: I think its great to get around to see places.

The international places were super hopeful ones. I’d like to try the next 2 years to make one happen. In the meantime, similar route, I’ll be visting the good US of A :slight_smile:

I just used a picture I found online to try and illustrate the kind of place I meant. I’m glad you mentioned Caddo Lake, I’d not heard of it before,it looks a terrific place to explore and enjoy…vast!!
The fishing looks great too, not to mention the camping.
I’m not sure how long a drive it is for you but it’s well over a thirteen hour flight from London so I certainly won’t be going in the near future :sob: Good luck if you do decide to visit :+1:

Yep, England’s great too …we have The Norfolk Broads, no gators there…yet! :wink:

1 Like

Yes, there are places I have not been to but not many.

1 Like

Been to NZ South Island numerous times but never to North Island. Maybe there.

1 Like

If I get my nerves up, I might try for it around the 26th. My father took the family there when we were young kids. It’ll be almost 5 hours drive there from Houston. Going somewhere on the 26th. I havent decided where.

It would be nice to get out again soon.

1 Like

Yep, it’s good to get out, essential in my opinion, a real tonic! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My belly button.

1 Like

My place of interest, currently, is the Suffolk coast, Southwold<>Aldeburgh. I’ve never been there; there are a number of beaches, quiet and unspoilt.

Some of our wee coves are like that, a lot are hidden from the tourists view and are not in any guides. I often have one near me all to myself when out with the dog.

1 Like

Nice!

(or a bit too isolated?)

This is Southwold, I guess the pic was taken in the winter, but it shows no sign of the usual seaside tackiness.

2 Likes

I can’t find my photo of Reiss Beach in Caithness sadly. A beautiful beach but so cold!! That was in July too.

Just google it.
Sinclairs Bay, known locally as Reiss Beach.

1 Like

Yes I’ve been to Reiss but it’s over beside Wick, nice beach and it reminded me of Dunnet Beach, the main one this side.