Pit Bull attack

So terribly sad a little boy has been killed by this dog .
What is the matter with people owning such dogs and selling them to other people .
The pit bull is a banned breed in the U.K. but
The pit bull is not really a breed and can be easily bred by crossing a staffer with a mastiff or other large dog .
Bring back dog licences and make owners responsible for their animals .

I do not believe that a pit bull terrier could ever be a fit ā€˜petā€™ for domestic situations.
Some less vicious breed do make ideal pets, but no so a pit bull terrier under any circumstances.

1 Like

Itā€™s not the dog. The dog only knows what itā€™s been taught. Plenty of pit bulls make excellent pets if raised correctly. Any large dog is dangerous according to how it is treated by owner. Sorry, but I personally think that pit bulls and bulldogs in general get a bad wrap that is not their fault. IMHO
In fact the reason you always hear about pit bull attacks is so many wankers raise them to fight. Those are the ones I would like to see put down.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a man round here who encourages his ā€œdogā€ to pull trees apart. The animal launches itself to the nearest branch and just hang there like a sack of potatoes until the man gives it the ok, then it goes bananaā€™s trying to wrench the branch from the tree. :frowning: Its got a huge leather studded harness and collar, and is so clearly NOT a pet in any shape or form. I donā€™t know why the police just donā€™t take it off him.

2 Likes

The dogs or the owners?
:slight_smile:

1 Like

The wankers.

2 Likes

That is just terrible, poor little lad and his poor parents, their hearts must be breaking.

I think all dogs should be licensed and the owners responsible for any harm they do, in this case they should be charged with manslaughter.

And so should those who bred and sold it. Maybe the threat of that would stop others

After all, if that woman who organised the paddle boarding where people died can be charged with manslaughter, why not these people?

2 Likes

It has now emerged that its new owners bought the 15-month-old dog less than two weeks ago, after its previous owners worried it would attack other animals.

An advert for the ā€˜very large, powerfulā€™ dog which was posted on Facebook on October 29 said the animal ā€˜unfortunately does not like other dogsā€™.

ā€˜Iā€™ve tried my best with him, I have other dogs and cannot put them at risk,ā€™ the ad said.

Why would you read this and think this dog was a good fit. It had obvious behavior problems and the ad said so.

2 Likes

Never ever buy a dog from an ad, no matter what breed, unless itā€™s a puppy & you see itā€™s parent & siblings.
I would always & did, go to a rescue centre.
No way would I ever buy a pit bull breed or cross either.

1 Like

A large dog of any kind I get as a puppy if they are not raised to be social they can be dangerous. Getting a large dog from a shelter, or another owner you really need to know what youā€™re doing. Have dog handling experience. You donā€™t buy a dog with existing problems and expect them to magically go away. A dog is like a constant child and need direction and nurturing.

1 Like

OUR MISSION

To Rescue, Reunite, Re-Home, Rehabilitate and Repair any retired working dog that has served mankind in some capacity.

Rescue ā€“ Any and all CWDs and MWDs as well as any other working dog that may need our help. Mission K9 Rescue is committed to saving them and giving them the retirement they deserve; whether it be bringing them back from overseas or rescuing them out of a poor environment stateside.

Reunite ā€“ Any retired working dog that has a handler that wants him, and has proven that they are the right home (handlers always get first preference) Mission K9 Rescue will see to it that the dog is transported to the handler.

Re-Home ā€“ Any retired working dog that does not have a designated handler, Mission K9 Rescue will work to find the perfect loving home for the dog.

Rehabilitate ā€“ Often retired working dogs have been in situations that can cause them severe anxiety and stress. Many retire with issues such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. These dogs need time with us to decompress and reintegrate into society. Mission K9 Rescue works with these dogs in order to get make the suitable for adoption.

Repair ā€“ Working dogs train like professional athletes their entire career. When they retire, some have extensive medical issues that can become quite costly. Since they donā€™t receive retirement benefits, Mission K9 Rescue provides all veterinary needs while in our care.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not the dogs fault
When I lived in the Caribbean where dog fighting is rife there are a lot of pit bulls .
The ones I had dealings with were dear loyal dogs even though they have been abused .
BUT
I would not trust them or any dog with a child and while a chihuahua might bite and they do a pit bulls jaws are massive . If they bite you they will seriously hurt you and they will hang on . I dread to think of the trama that little boy suffered and hope that all parties owners past and present are taken to account ,

2 Likes

Well exactly, what sort of fool reads that and thinks ā€œoh, the owner is afraid it will attack her other dogs so Iā€™m sure it will be fine with my kidsā€?

And if the seller knew the dog was dangerous she should have had it out down, not pass on the danger to someone else

I love dogs but some dog owners are a different matter

1 Like

Recent news item on this very sad event, itā€™s just two hoursā€™ old and a woman has been arrested in connection with this:

A terrible unimaginable tragedy

We personally have a Serious Problem with the Neighbours next door to us.
They have now managed to take on 5 Hunting Dogsā€¦The first two as Puppiesā€¦pure Pointersā€¦the owners would soon be showing the neighbours what cute little Puppies they areā€¦
They bark at us and anything that moves very soon with aggressionā€¦roared like Lions wouldā€¦
They were confined to the Gardenā€¦never walked outsideā€¦but they loved them as coee coee would sort themā€¦
A while later they took on 3 more Rescue Dogsā€¦ kind so kind if you live away from anybody elseā€¦ but how selfish if your not going to take responsibility for your animalsā€¦ but all Hunting Dogs and as they apparently said we donā€™twalk dogsā€¦ok this is going to be ending in tearsā€¦
Pointers and mixed Pointersā€¦purely need loads and loads of exercise. Three years on they are restricted to a maximum of bark growling at any vehicle that passes by and if any person walking with a dog whilst they are out dares to be doing what surely is naturalā€¦they go balisticā€¦hey just a few minutes and they are called in again with treatsā€¦so unnatural but quite scary if they do get out or over our raised wire fencesā€¦
They say itā€™s a dog lifeā€¦
They did say to us amongst many other thingsā€¦Yourā€™ll have to put up with itā€¦

I am a dog lover but there is nothing worse that Inconsiderate neighbours and their barking dogs .
Keeping dogs in a pack is dangerous unless you are Cesar Milan
The hunting instinct will take over and even usually mild breeds can attack and kill.

Iā€™m 90% sure it is the owners are the problem. We have seen a few here. We had one yesterday. The ownerā€™s dog was aggressive and it got aggressive with a St Bernard (!), a lovely gentle fellow. But the little terrier got right in it its face. That same ownerā€™s dog barked it Max very aggressively. Max just tolerated it.

A tale I mentioned before a long time ago. I had a collie when I was a teenager. Like Max, he was a gentle biddable companion. We went to a neighbourā€™s house and they had a dog. It was the litter as mine. but is was aggressive and bit me for just stroking it. Perhaps this is one example of how some others donā€™t understand dogs.