Pictures or videos or both?

My first video camera was a triple turret Standard 8 Bell and Howell. No zoom in those days when zoom first came out it was 3X or 5X and a zoom lens camera was outrageously expensive.

I agree with OGF my photos and videos will die with me and while they are interesting they are nothing compared to the memories.

:023::023:

I often video as well as take a photo, my problem was storage. I can keep them in a big file but couldn’t share them on here or elsewhere because they wouldn’t upload to the site. I didn’t want to put them on You Tube as I didn’t want the world and his wife wading through all my stuff. My Grandaughter was up here on a visit last summer and she got stuck into You Tube for me and made me an account and it’s all private but I can share one if I want…So I sometimes do.

Roxy

Storage can be a problem but I use an extrnl hard drive to keep mine on as well as a couple of extra internal drives and keep the “c” drive relatively free.
As for what I video there is no way would I take any of children I would rather not use the camcorder and often not purely because.
Of course youtube videos can be made private if that is ones want , I don’t even put up a fraction of mine as they would not be of any interest to anyone else

I don’t do videos, just not really interested.

But I’m addicted to youtube channels done by pros talking about still photography. It’s awesome to see things like someone walking down the street on GoPro, a click, and the result caught on a stills camera.

There are so many variables in making/taking a good shot: positioning yourself to catch the best light, focal length, depth of field, field of view, shutter speed, etc. And I don’t know how to incorporate these into video recording.

And no, you can’t grab a frame from a video and make a realistic comparison with a proper shot.

A perfect still photograph can be likened to a work of art, and is up there with paintings done by the masters…In my opinion…:cool:

no different to taking a photo. depends on what you are videoing with. If I was videoing with my Nikon D810 the setup would be the same. with the camcorder i have being a relatively cheap one in camcorder terms all I have to do is set one and the other elements are automatic but can zoom in so DOF doesn’t really apply.
Go up to a £2000 + camcorder then you not only can set as you would with a camera but also have to deal with sound. Maybe a good video editing suite would be a help

I can select one of these on the front dial and all the others fall in line with that setting

https://i.imgur.com/ZZrqlBo.jpg

so basically idiot proof built for me I guess or you can go into the menu to do more.

It didn’t me that long to understand it and if I can anyone can but easiest is tgo let the camcorder do it for you

IMO too Foxy :smiley:

This photograph has to be my all time favourite for atmosphere. I would happily hang this on my wall, much better than a video of it.

https://scontent.flhr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.18172-8/28617261_803725506483414_6804281434482252913_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=t5C8BoD5k8YAX-mOz8B&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr1-1.fna&oh=590fbea68759799fa562d56cca84407e&oe=60EF168F
Photograph by Michael Bryant.

Dood quote " But I’m addicted to youtube channels done by pros talking about still photography. It’s awesome to see things like someone walking down the street "end quote

Think of seeing your own videos on youtube instead of other peoples, then you will want to take more. Making your own.editng and all the entails is very satisfying even if not made for public viewing
I did one with the Golden Gate bridge in video with warning horn sounding

Now that’s what I’m talking about Longdogs…:023:…Epic!

https://scontent.flhr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.18172-8/28617261_803725506483414_6804281434482252913_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=t5C8BoD5k8YAX-mOz8B&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr1-1.fna&oh=590fbea68759799fa562d56cca84407e&oe=60EF168F

Stand firm, Pixie, he can’t make you if you don’t want to. :wink:

Nonsense, RS, when someone has the plague, jumping on their back is the last thing anyone would do. :018:

I agree, Foxy.

After all, I can’t hang a video on the wall to see every day, can I. :wink:

Nothing wrong with just taking photos and if your satisfied with photos stuck in a draw then thats fine .I do the same but not being stuck in a rut without finding out other forms of photography.
Personally at ther moment I like to see life as when I made the video. Then not just one fixed view but what else is about and the sounds associated with it. The overwritten ones I post with music are just video edited copies of the original with the sound track.

So why not me a little more adventurous and have a go, you never know you might get a lot of pleasure and enjoyment from making a video. You don’t know until you try.
Seems to me there is too much negativity without trying first

But not really convenient if you are aiming for as many viewings of them as possible. After 35.614 (and rising) your drawer would be in a sorry state.

Google him, Foxy. He has some superb pictures.

:044::044:

When you have got as many hobbies as me realspeed I would be spreading myself too thinly. I’m quite happy with the hobbies I’ve got and enhance them with the odd photo. I could add fishing, stamp collecting, building models of the Taj Mahal, and renovating old vehicles, but I can’t really be arsed and Mrs Fox wants the lounge decorating after I’ve finished making the bed, cooking dinner, and washing the pots…:frowning:

Cheers Longdogs, I’ll have a look…:023:
You might like to google Suzanne Ballivet - French artist…:smiley: