Pickled Onions

I thought all pickled onions tasted the same…how very wrong was I.

Have you found the perfect pickle or pickled onion.?

1 Like

I used to like the crunchy ones, but I can’t eat them now, just one of the many foods I can no longer eat.

2 Likes

Yep…pickle your own …much nicer flavour and they last for yonks :+1:

3 Likes

Tiff, I have found the perfect delicious pickled onion any one could find!..I have never tasted such a delicious pickled onion…I may eat the whole jar full.washed down with the delicious pickling juice.

Small white silver skin are the type I enjoy the most.
Tesco Pickled Silverskin Onions 710G - Tesco Groceries

3 Likes

I wonder if the secret is in the onion or the pickling juice?

These I bought are delicious!.

My digestion won’t allow them any more but Haywards Sweet & Mild Pickled Silverskins were my go-to when I could.

3 Likes

I love those as well, but the ones I bought are in a different league to those silverskin ones, much higher up on my list…

1 Like

Isn’t it just typical that I find this out NOW, when I can’t eat them any more!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Sorry you aren’t able to eat them Zaphod, is this going to be permanent with your digestive system?..

1 Like

Yes following a major op. three years ago which causes other … changes too.
It’s irritating more than anything else but thanks for caring.

1 Like

I can’t even imagine how irritating that must be Zaphod…,I need to stop taking what I can eat for granted…so many after major ops can’t eat what they used to, which must be so difficult to work around.

Also those with food allergies, which can cause life and death situations, what a nightmare that must be.

Still ,you stay positive Zaphod, I admire that in you…

1 Like

Yes, it was in one of these.

In my late teens I lived about 50 yards from what was known locally as “the onion factory” where pickled onions were peeled & placed in vinegar. I hate even the smell of pickled onions, but strangely the factory produced no real smells.

1 Like

I pickle my own, I grow shallots in the garden then prepare and pickle them using Sarsons pickling vinegar. They are edible within four to six weeks and maintain their crunch for months, or at least they probably would if they lasted that long, I love 'em… :drooling_face:

5 Likes

@Barry I love pickled shallots and do my own making them quite spicy.
I have to keep them a secret though, I don’t fancy peeling them for a family of 7 who can eat a jar full in one go :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I never did manage to try pickling my own although my sister does.
They sound yum, but are they anything like the pickled onions you used to see in fish & chip shops (but obviously a better version)?

2 Likes

And now I’ve got a strange yearning for some piccalilli, and I used to like Haywards or Sainsbury’s own sweet varieties in that too.
Oh bumps!
:rofl:

2 Likes

I feel for you because I am the same.

2 Likes

My Oh used to pickle ours too, they were lovely.

1 Like

I can understand that @Meg , let’s call it your dirty little secret shall we, and I’ll promise not to tell anyone honestly… :joy:

I remember them well @Zaphod , giant onions that cost a penny each and which probably got me hooked in the first place… :wink:

2 Likes